Strain predictions in granular soils
Strains in soils are predominantly non-recoverable and it is therefore appropriate to look towards plastic theory to provide a description of stress strain behaviour. A condition favourable to this approach involving a stress-strain law relating stress to strain increment for granular (non-cohesive) soils was illustrated by Roscoe, Basset, and Cole (1967). They demonstrated in simple shear tests with monotonically increasing loads on Leighton Buzzard sand that the principal axes of strain increment coincided closely with the principal axes of stress over all but the initial (low stress) stages of the tests.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3).Drucker, D. C., Trans. ASME Jour. App. Mech., pp. 101-106 (1959).Google Scholar
- 4).Hansen, J. B., Proc. Conf. Earth Press. Probs. Brussels 1, 39–48 (1958).Google Scholar
- 6).Khataniar, B. C., An experimental investigation of assumptions made in the interpretation of triaxial test data. Thesis presented in partial fulfillment of the requirement for M. Sc. University of Strathclyde, Glasgow (Scotland).Google Scholar
- 7).Khayatt, A. J., Segme incremental stress strain relations for sand. Ph. D. thesis University of Manchester, Manchester (England) (1967).Google Scholar
- 8).Kirkpatrick, W. M., Proc. IVth Conf. Soil Mech. and Found. Eng. 1, 172–178 (1957).Google Scholar
- 9).Kirkpatrick, W. M., Proc. Vth Int. Conf. Soil Mech. and Found. Eng. 3, 131–133 (1961).Google Scholar
- 10).Kirkpatrick, W. M., Civil Engineering Department Internal report No. SM 70/01 (April 1970), University of Strathclyde.Google Scholar
- 12).Kirkpatrick, W. M. and J. S. Younger, Proc. ASCE vol.96 SM 5, pp. 1683–1695 (1970).Google Scholar
- 13).Kirkpatrick, W. M. and J. S. Younger, Proc. 1st Aust. New Zeal. Conf. Geomechanics Melbourne (1971).Google Scholar
- 15).Rowe, P. W. and L. Barden, Proc. ASCE 90 SMI, 1–27(1964).Google Scholar
- 16).Roscoe, K. H., R. H. Basset, and E. R. L. Cole, Proc. Geotech. Conf. Oslo 1, 231–237 (1967).Google Scholar
- 17).Kirkpatrick M. W., R. K. Seals, and B. Newman, Proc ASCE, vol. 100, SMI.Google Scholar
- 18).Tong, P., Private communication to author (1970).Google Scholar