Influence of 7α-Ethylthio-17β-Hydroxy-17α-Methyl-5α-Androstano-[3, 2-C] Pyrazole (PS-179) and Methyltestosterone on the Catabolism, Excretion and Distribution of Exogenous Cholesterol-4-14C in the Rat
The mechanisms of PS-179-induced hypocholesterolaemic action and prevention of experimental atherosclerosis have been further investigated in normocholesterolaemic rats using methyltestosterone as control.
The oxidative catabolic conversion of intraperitoneally injected cholesterol-4-14C into the biliary bile acids was increased significantly by oral treatment with PS-179 but not with MT in the bile-fistula animal. The conversion of orally administered cholesterol-4-14C was found to increase in faecal bile acids only with PS-179 in the intact animal, though the increase was not so marked as in the bile-fistula preparation.
Biliary analysis in the fistula animal indicated that elevation of incorporated taurocholate or taurocholate/taurochenodeoxycholate ratio caused by continuous draining of the bile tended to increase with both PS-179 and MT.
After oral dosage with cholesterol-4-14C, plasma and tissue distributions of the total 14C-activity were decreased only with PS-179 on the third day and slightly increased with PS-179 or MT on the first day.
Key-WordsCholesterol Anabolic Steroids Methyltestosterone Androgens Bile Acids and Salts
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fukase, M., K. Iwai, A. I’io, H. Inoue, M. Sano, H. Matsuyama, N. Sato, K. Trizuka, K. Hamamoto, and T. Mori: Clinical studies of a new anabolic steroid, PS-179. Folia endocrinol. Japonica 43, extra 155 (1968).Google Scholar
- Gänshirt, H., F.W. Koss u. K. Morianz: Untersuchung zur quantitativen Auswertung der Dünnschichtchromatographie. Arzneimittel-Forsch. 10, 943 (1960).Google Scholar
- Grundy, S.M., and E.H. Ahrens, Jr.: An evaluation of the relative merits of two methods for measuring the balance of sterols in man: isotopic balance versus Chromatographic analysis. J. clin. Med. 45, 1505 (1966).Google Scholar
- Myant, N.B., and H.A. Eder: The effect of biliary drainage upon the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver. J. Lipid Res. 2, 363 (1961).Google Scholar
- Nakamura, K., Y. Masuda, and Y. Minaki: Effects of estrone and 2-methoxy-methyl-17α-methylestradiol-3-methyl ether (P-5780) on cholesterol metabolism in normo-and hypercholesterolemic rats. J. Atheroscler. Res. 8, 530 (1968).Google Scholar
- — and K. Nakatsuji: Studies on an orally active anabolic steroid, PS-179 in experimental animals. Arzneimittel-Forsch. (in press) (1968).Google Scholar
- Umehara, T., and M. Murou: Clinical investigation of a new orally active anabolic steroid, PS-179. Clin. Rep. 1, 11 (1967).Google Scholar