Dynamic Procedure Synthesis, Execution, and Failure Recovery
A knowledge based planning system for dynamic synthesis of procedures for operational problems in engineering systems is presented. The proposed design provides a framework for integrating event-oriented procedure selection approach by using in conjunction a function-directed approach for procedure synthesis, monitoring and execution of the procedures, and action failure recovery. The plan synthesizer is implemented as an organization of planning specialists interacting as cooperative distributed problem solvers. This paper describes the knowledge representation scheme for actions, procedures, and planning knowledge; the organization of planning knowledge as a society of specialists; the reasoning process; a framework for developing systems using this approach; and an application of the approach to the task of assuring the safety of nuclear power plants.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bylander, T., Mittal, S., and Chandrasekaran, B. (1983) CSRL: A Language for Expert Systems for Diagnosis. IJCAI, Vol. 8, 1983.Google Scholar
- 2.Chandrasekaran, B. , Sharma, D. , Miller, D. (1983). The Application of Knowledge-Based Systems to Reactor Operation. Trans. Am. Nucl., Vol. 43, November 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.Corcoran, W. R. , Church, J. F., Cross, M. T., and Guinn, W. N. (1981). The Critical Safety Functions and Plant Operation. Nucl. Technology, Vol 55, December 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.Georgeff, M. P., Lansky, A. L. , and Bessiere, P. (1985) A Procedural Logic. IJCAI, 1985.Google Scholar
- 5.Gomez, F. and Chandrasekaran, B. (1981). Knowledge Organization and Distribution for Medicen Diagnosis. IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC-ll(l), January 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.Newell, A., and Simon, H. A. (1972). Human Problem Solving. Printice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1972.Google Scholar
- 7.NUREG/CR-3177. (1983) Methods for Review and Evaluation of Emergency Procedure Guidelines. Volume 1: Methodologies. 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Wilensky, R. (1983). Planning and Understanding. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, Massachusetts, 1983.Google Scholar