The Ontological Structure of a Troubleshooting System for Electronic Instruments
There is a great need for methodologies to simplify the knowledge engineering process. In this paper we describe a knowledge engineering methodology called ontological analysis. Ontological analysis aims at a step-by-step articulation of the knowledge structures necessary for performing a task by following the objects and relationships that occur in the task domain itself. As an example, we present an ontological analysis of the inference engine from a knowledge-based troubleshooting system for electronic instruments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, P.P. (1976) “The Entity-Relationship Model — Toward a Unified View of Data;” ACM Transactions on Database Systems; vol. 1, no. 1,Google Scholar
- Clancey, W.J. (1984) “Classification Problem Solving;” in 1984 National Conference on Artificial Intelligence; AAAI; Austin, Texas;Google Scholar
- Cohen, P.R. (1985) Heuristic Reasoning about Uncertainty: An Artificial Intelligence Approach; Pitman Publishing, Inc.; Marshfield, MA;Google Scholar
- deKleer, J. (1984) “Choices Without Backtracking;” in 1984 National Conference on Artificial Intelligence; AAAI; Austin, Texas;Google Scholar
- DeMarco, T. (1978) Structured Analysis and System Specification; Youdon, Inc.; New York, NY;Google Scholar
- Freiling, M.J., Alexander, J.H., Feucht, D., and Stubbs, D. (1984) GUB — A Language for Describing the Behavior of Electronic Devices; Applied Research Technical Report CR-84–12; Tektronix, Inc.; Beaverton, OR;Google Scholar
- Freiling, M.J., Alexander, J.H., Messick, S.L., Rehfuss, S., and Shulman, S. (1985) “Starting a Knowledge Engineering Project — A Step-by-Step Approach;” A.I. Magazine; vol. 6, no. 3,Google Scholar
- Jackson, M.A. (1975) Principles of Program Design; Academic Press; New York, NY;Google Scholar
- Rehfuss, S., Alexander, J.H., Freiling, M.J., Messick, S.L., and Shulman, S.J. (1985) A Troubleshooting Assistant for the Tektronix 2236 Oscilloscope; Applied Research Technical Report CR-85–34; Tektronix, Inc.; Beaverton, OR;Google Scholar
- Smith, J.M. and Smith, D.C.P. (1977) “Database Abstractions: Aggregation and Generalization;” ACM Transactions on Database Systems; vol. 2, no. 2,Google Scholar
- Stefik, M., Aikins, J., Balzer, R., Benoit, J., Birnbaum, L., Hayes-Roth, F., and Sacerdoti, E. (1982) The Organization of Expert Systems: A Prescriptive Tutorial; Xerox PARC Technical Report; Palo Alto, CA;Google Scholar
- Stoy, J.E. (1977) Denotational Semantics; MIT Press; Cambridge, MA;Google Scholar
- Winston, P.H. (1975) “Learning Structural Descriptions from Examples;” in The Psychology of Computer Vision; ed. P.H. Winston; McGraw-Hill; New York, NY;Google Scholar