Expert Systems in Process Control: Applications Experience
One of the most promising application areas for expert systems is an on-line advisor to a process plant operator. In modern control rooms, the operator is responsible for monitoring thousands of measurements and interpreting plant condition. The expert system design for this application required new approaches toward the creation of knowledge bases, the real-time use of knowledge for inference and other requirements. Expert systems have been applied in several plants to assist the operator in this task. The design and implementation issues are reviewed. The extension of this work to non-process applications which have similar real-time requirements is currently proceeding.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Astrom, K.J. and J.J. Anton (1984). Expert Control. IFAC World Congress, Budapest. (Forthcoming in Automatica).Google Scholar
- Fortin, D.A., and T.B. Rooney and E.H. Bristol (1983). Of Christmas Trees and Sweaty Palms. Proc. of Ninth Annual Advanced Control Conference, West Lafayette, Indiana, 49.Google Scholar
- Kawakami, J. (1984). Overview of Artificial Intelligence Applied to Control Technology in Japan and in Hitachi, Hitachi Research Laboratory, private communication, Japan.Google Scholar
- Kramer, M.A., and B.L. Palowitch Jr. (1985). Expert Systems and Knowledge-Based Approaches to Process Malfunction Diagnosis. AIChE Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.Google Scholar
- Moore, R.L., L.B. Hawkinson and C.G. Knickerbocker, (1984). Expert Systems Applications in Industry, ISA/84, Houston, TX, 1081.Google Scholar
- Moore, R.L., L.B. Hawkinson, C.G. Knickerbocker and L.M. Churchman, (1984). A Real-Time Expert System for Process Control, Proc. First Conference on Artificial Intelligence Applications (IEEE) Denver, Co, 529.Google Scholar
- Palowitch, B.L. and M.A. Kramer (1985). The Application of a Knowledge-Based Expert System to Chemical Plant Fault Diagnosis, Proc. ACC, Boston, MA, 646.Google Scholar
- Sauers, R. and R. Walsh (1983). One the Requirements of Future Expert Systems, Proc. Eighth IJCAI, Karlsruhe, West Germany, 110.Google Scholar