A Natural Language Interface for Specifying Digital Systems
This work describes a natural language interface for specifying the behavior of digital systems in restricted English text. A neutral formal representation for the behavior is described. An intermediate representation based on Conceptual Dependencies is presented and its use with a semantic-based parser is illustrated by a series of examples.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Comer, J. R. (1979) An Experimental Natural-Language Processor for Generating Data Type Specifications. Ph.D. Dissertation, Computing Science, Texas A&M University, May 1979.Google Scholar
- Fink, P.A., Sigmon, A.H., and Biermann, A.W. (1985) Computer Control via Limited Natural Language. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. SMC-15, No. 1, January/February 1985.Google Scholar
- Ginsparg, J.M. (1977) A Parser for English and Its Application in an Automatic Programming System. Ph.D. Dissertation, Computer Science, Stanford University, June 1977.Google Scholar
- Granacki, J., Knapp, D., and Parker, A. (1985) The ADAM Design Automation System: Overview, Planner and Natural Language Interface. Proceedings of the 22nd ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference, Las Vegas, NV, June 1985 pp. 727–730.Google Scholar
- Grinberg, M.R. (1980) A Knowledge-Based Design Environment for Digital Electronics. Ph.D. Dissertation, Computer Science, University of Maryland, September 1980.Google Scholar
- Knapp, D. and Parker, A. (1986) A Design Utility Manager. Submitted to the 23rd ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference, Las Vegas, NV, June 1986.Google Scholar
- Knapp, D. and Parker, A. (1983) A Data Structure for VLSI Synthesis and Verification. Technical Report CRI-85–19 (DISC 83–6a - May 8, 1984), August 14, 1985.Google Scholar
- Mander, K.C. and Presland, S.G., An Introduction to Specification Anlysis -SPAN. University of Liverpool (Gt. Brit.), Department of Computational and Statistical Science, CSS/79/12.Google Scholar
- Samad, T. and Director, S.W. (1985) Toward a Natural Language Interface for CAD. Proceedings of the 22nd ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference, Las Vegas, NV, June 1985 pp. 2–8.Google Scholar
- Schank, R.C. (1975) Conceptual Infromation Processing, American Elsevier Publishing Company, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Weischedel, R.M. (1983) Prerequisites for Deriving Formal Specifications from Natural Language Requirements: Final Report. Department of Computer & Information Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE. AFOSR-TR-83–0687.Google Scholar
- Wilensky, R., and Arens, Y. (1980) PHRAN — a Knowledge Based Approach to Natural Language Analysis. University of California Berkeley, Electronic Research Laboratory Memorandum No. UCB M80/34.Google Scholar
- Wilensky, R., Arens, Y. and Chin, D. (1984) Talking to UNIX in English: An Overview of UC. Communications of the ACM, June 1984, Volume 27, Number 6.Google Scholar