Natural Language Interface to Relational Data Base Systems
Using natural language interface in a database system allows the user direct access to the information stored in the database system without the need to know the details of the database or to learn a specific formal query language. In this paper, the structure of a NL interface and the architecture of the system are described respectively.
The structure of the NL interface is level-structured, it consists of three levels; a language-level, a DB structure-level, and an application-level. Goal of the interface design is to increase its portability of new environments and to improve its independences between the language, the DB structure, and the application.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.Luis de Sopena (1984) “Knowledge and typing in a natural language interface: some results” Trends and Applications pp.4–10.Google Scholar
- /2/.Dale JOHNSON and Barrett R. BRANT (1984) “Formal syntax methods for natural language” Information processing letters No.19.pp.135–143Google Scholar
- /4/.Reid G Smith, and et al (1984) “Declarative task description as a user-interface structuring mechanism” see also /3/. pp.29–38.Google Scholar
- /5/.R N Cuff (1984) “HERCULES: Database query using natural language fragments” Proceedings of the third British national conf. on database. pp .133–149.Google Scholar
- /6/.S Jerrold Kaplan (1984) “Designing a portable natural language database query system” ACM Trans. on DS Vol.9 No.1 pp .1–19.Google Scholar
- /7/.Harry Tennant (1984) “Menu-based natural language understanding” NCC. pp.629–635.Google Scholar
- /9/.Meng Li-ming et al (1985) “Design and implementation of a RDBP relational system on a microcomputer” The lst proceedings of Sion-Japanese Shenyang-Sapporo internation academic conf. on applied techniques of computer. pp.63–66.Google Scholar
- /10/.Meng Li-ming (1984) “RDBP: a relational database processor” Master thesis. Dept of Computer Science in HIT.Google Scholar
- /11/.D L Waltz (1978) “An English Language Question answering System for a Large Relational Database” Comm.ACM Vol.21. No.7.Google Scholar
- /12/.L R Harris (1978) “The ROBOT System: Natural language processing applied to database query” Proc. ACM Conference. pp.165–172.Google Scholar