On Integrity Constraints for a Waste Management Information System
As an introduction we start with the fact that the ministries of the environment of several states in Germany have enacted laws which force communities and enterprises to develop concepts for waste management. Information about the amount of waste (of several types), their treatment, and disposal are neccessary for generating and controlling these concepts. The project involved was initiated in 1990 to develop a waste management information system for the federal state, Lower Saxony, in Germany [HER92]. The quality of this system essentially depends on the consistency of the underlying relational database system. Many relational database management systems support simple data-type-like integrity constraints, but more complex constraints are realized only through the application programs. Such an implementation of integrity constraints has several drawbacks (e.g. in flexibility, maintenance, etc.) in comparision to coding the rules in the database scheme. The paper focuses on referential and essential semantic integrity constraints in the underlying database scheme and shows the tools applied in the database design process to model and implement these constraints. We refer to the classification of integrity constraints in [ELM89] and follow the main database design process consisting of the four phases information requirement analysis, conceptual modeling, logical design, and implementation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ABF91]Ausschuß von Abfällen nach § 3 Absatz 3 AbfG-Abfallartenkatalog Niedersachsen, RdErl. d. MU vom 26.06.1991 in Nds. MBI. Nummer 36/91: 1278-1331Google Scholar
- [ELM89]Elmasri R, Navathe S (1989): Fundamentals of Database Systems, Benjamin Cummings, Redwood City CaliforniaGoogle Scholar
- [HER92]Herold H, Schreiber D (1992): DABI — ein Datenbanksystem zur Abfallbilanzierung, Abfallwirtschaftsjournal 1992 Nr. 4: 287–293Google Scholar
- [MAR91]Markowitz V, Fang W (1991): SDT A Database Schema Design and Translation Tool, Reference Manual Draft 4.1. Technical Report LBL-27843Google Scholar
- [SYB90]Sybase (1990):Transact-SQL User’s Guide Release 4.2, Emeryville (California) May 1990Google Scholar
- [SZE91]Szeto E, Markowitz V (1991): ERDRAW: A Graphical Schema Specification Tool, Reference Manual Draft 2.2. Technical Report Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (LBL) PUB-3084Google Scholar