It is well known that mitochondria are frequently to be found clustered around the nuclear membrane. The subject has been reviewed by Barer and Joseph (1) and Frederic (2). We have endeavoured to follow with the electron microscope the sequence of relationships between the mitochondria and the nuclear membrane from early prophase until metaphase, using the spermatocytes of the locust Schistocerca migratoria. Especial care was taken to identify the stages by means of alternate thick and thin sections and the use of the phase contrast microscope.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barer, R., and S. Joseph: Symposia Soc. exp. Biol. 10, 160 (1957).Google Scholar
- 2.Frederic, J.: Arch. Biol. 69, 167 (1958).Google Scholar
- 3.Hughes, A.F.W.: The mitotic cycle. London: Butterworth 1952.Google Scholar
- 4.Schultz, J.: Exp. Cell Res. Suppl. 2, 17 (1952).Google Scholar
- 5.Swift, H.: J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 2, No. 4 Suppl. 415 (1956).Google Scholar