Southern Europe: Gender Studies and Institutions in the Euro-Mediterranean Region
This overview analyses the similarities and differences in the development of gender studies (research, curricula, third mission and internationalisation) in Southern European countries. Although each country under consideration belongs to the European Union, they have different cultural contexts, historical backgrounds and territorial positions. Thus, the analysis divides the countries into five geographical regions. The areas, as listed in the following, additionally denote different political traditions: I. Iberian Peninsula: Portugal, Spain; II. Central-Western Mediterranean region: France, Italy; III. North-Eastern Mediterranean part: Slovenia, Croatia; IV. South-Eastern Mediterranean area: Greece; V. Islands: Cyprus, Malta.
KeywordsEuro-Mediterranean countries Europe European Union Gender Research Curricula Academia
- Antić, Gaber M. 2017. Mapping women’s and gender studies in the academic field in Slovenia. Center for Educational Policy Studies Journal 7(2): 9–27.Google Scholar
- Atack, Margaret, Alison S. Fell, Diana Holmes, und Imogen Long, Eds. 2018. French feminisms 1975 and after. new readings, new texts. Bern: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Beauvoir, Simone de. 1949. The second Sex. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Bermúdez, Silvia, and Roberta Johnson, Eds. 2018. New history of iberian feminisms. Toronto: Toronto University Press.Google Scholar
- Bono, Paola, and Sandra Kemp, Eds. 1991. Italian feminist thought. a reader. London: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Braidotti, Rosi. 2003. Key terms and issues in the making of European women’s studies. In The making of European women’s studies. a work in progress report on curriculum development and related issues in gender education and research, Eds. Rosi Braidotti, Esther Vonk, and I. Volume, 23–36. Utrecht: ATHENA.Google Scholar
- Calloni, Marina. 2006. (Feminist) Academics and policy makers in Italy: A ‘marriage’ in crisis or alive? In The making of European women’s studies, Eds. Rosi Braidotti und Berteke Waaldijk, Bd. VII, 56–82. Utrecht: ATHENA.Google Scholar
- Duby, Georges, Michelle Perrot, und Françoise Thébaud, Eds. 1996. A history of women in the west: Toward a cultural identity in the twentieth century. Cambridge: Belknap Press.Google Scholar
- ENWISE Expert group – European Commission. 2004. Waste of talents: Turning private struggles into a public issue. Women and science in the enwise countries, directorate-general for research, science and society – Women ad science. Brussels: European Commission. https://ec.europa.eu/research/swafs/pdf/pub_gender_equality/enwise-report_en.pdf. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- European Commission. 2017. Report on equality between women and men in the EU. Brussels: European Union. https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/2017_report_equality_women_men_in_the_eu_en.pdfRetrieved on march, 10, 2018 Last. accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- Gaitanou, Eirini. 2017. Feminism in times of crisis: Woman struggle in Greece. https://www.academia.edu/5474862/Feminism_in_times_of_crisis_Woman_struggle_in_Greece. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- Galligan, Yvonne, Sara Clavero, and Marina Calloni. 2008. Gender politics and democracy in post-socialist Europe. Opladen: Verlag Barbara Budrich.Google Scholar
- Irigaray, Luce. 1993. An ethics of sexual difference. Ithaca: Cornell University.Google Scholar
- MASIS Expert Group – European Commission. 2009. Challenging futures of science in society – Emerging trends and cutting-edge issues. Brussels: European Commission http://www.securepart.eu/download/com-2009_masis_report_expert-group-_en150625092421.pdf. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.
The information about the various centres and programmes on gender studies mentioned in the paper have been checked online
- AtGender. https://atgender.eu. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- Center for Women’s Studies – Zagreb. http://www.annalindhfoundation.org/fr/members/center-womens-studies. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- Department of Gender Studies – University of Malta. https://www.um.edu.mt/socialwellbeing/genderstudies. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- EDV Italy Project – Contro la violenza domestica. http://www.edvitaly-project.unimib.it. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- Mediterranean Institute of Gender Studies – Nicosia. http://www.medinstgenderstudies.org. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- R.I.N.G.S. – The International Research Association of Institutions of Advanced Gender Studies. http://ringsgender.org. Last accessed 10 Mar 2018.