Ethics in Digital Research
- 172 Downloads
This chapter provides a broad overview of the technological landscape of today’s Internet and considers the ways in which Internet research, as an umbrella term, has morphed and changed into today’s big data infrastructure. It furthermore discusses the implications of these changes for ethical decision-making and conduct of research. The guiding anticipatory ethics approach of the Association of Internet Researchers is used as an ethical frame.
KeywordsInternet research Ethics Research methods Social media Big data ethics
- Barocas, Solon, and Helen Nissenbaum. 2014. Big data’s end run around anonymity and consent. In Privacy, big data, and the public good frameworks for engagement, 44–75. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107590205.004.
- Blumberg, Andrew. J., and Eckersley, Peter. 2009. On locational privacy, and how to avoid losing it forever. https://www.eff.org/files/eff-locational-privacy.pdf. Accessed 21 May 2016.
- Brownstein, John S., Christopher A. Cassa, and Kenneth D. Mandl. 2006. No place to hide – Reverse identification of patients from published maps. The New England Journal of Medicine 355: 1741–1742. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc061891.
- Buchanan, Elizabeth, and Charles Ess. 2009. Internet research ethics and the institutional review board: Current practices and issues. Computers and Society 39(3): 43–49.Google Scholar
- Cavazza, Fred. “Social Media Landscape”. 2014. Web blog post. FredCavazza.net. http://www.fredcavazza.net/2014/05/22/social-media-landscape-2014/. Accessed 21 June 2016.
- Curtis, Andrew J., Jacqueline W. Mills, and Michael Leitner. 2006. Spatial confidentiality and GIS: Re-engineering mortality locations from published maps about Hurricane Katrina. International Journal of Health Geographics 5: 44. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-072X-5-44.
- Dumbill, Edd. 2012. What is big data ? O’Reilly data show podcast. https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/what-is-big-data. Accessed 17 June 2016.
- Ess, Charles. 2009. Digital media ethics, 1st ed. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Ess, Charles. 2013. Digital media ethics, 2nd ed. Oxford: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Ess, Charles, and Jones, Steve. 2002. Ethical decision-making and Internet research: Recommendations from the AoIR ethics working committee. Association of Internet researchers. http://aoir.org/reports/ethics.pdf. Accessed 17 June 2016.
- James, Josh. 2015. Data never sleeps 3.0. Domosphere, 13 Aug. https://www.domo.com/blog/2015/08/data-never-sleeps-3-0/. Accessed 16 June 2016.
- Lane, Julia, Victoria Stodden, Stefan Bender, and Helen Nissenbaum, ed. 2014. Privacy, big data and the public good: Frameworks for engagement. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Markham, Annette. 1998. Life online. Lanham: Alta Mira Press.Google Scholar
- Markham, Annette, and Buchanan, Elizabeth. 2012. Ethical decision-making and Internet research. Recommendations from the AoIR ethics working committee (Version 2.0). http://aoir.org/reports/ethics2.pdf. Accessed 16 May 2016.
- McCook, Alison. 2016. Publicly available data on thousands of OKCupid users pulled over copyright claim. RetractionWatch 16 May 2016. http://retractionwatch.com/2016/05/16/publicly-available-data-on-thousands-of-okcupid-users-pulled-over-copyright-claim/. Accessed 17 June 2016.
- Mittlestadt, Brent Daniel, and Luciano Floridi. 2015. The ethics of big data: Current and foreseeable issues in biomedical research. Science and Engineering Ethics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-015-9652-2.
- Nissenbaum, Helen. 2009. Privacy in context. Stanford. technology, policy, and the integrity of social life. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). 2016. What is big data? https://www.ntnu.edu/ime/bigdata/what-is. Accessed 17 June 2016.
- Ohm, Paul. 2010. Broken promises of privacy: Responding to the surprising failure of anonymization. UCLA Law Review 57: 1701.Google Scholar
- Oxford English Dictionary. 2016. Big data. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/big-data. Accessed 16 July 2016.
- Public Welfare Department of Health and Human Services. 2009. Title 45 part 46 protection of human subjects. Code of federal regulations. http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/sites/default/files/ohrp/policy/ohrpregulations.pdf. Accessed 16 July 2016.
- Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Human Research Protection (SACHRP). 2013. Considerations and recommendations concerning Internet research and human subjects research regulations, with Revisions. 12 Mar 2013. http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/sites/default/files/ohrp/sachrp/mtgings/2013%20March%20Mtg/internet_research.pdf. Accessed 17 June 2016.
- Stern, Susannah R. 2004. Studying adolescents online: A consideration of ethical issues. In Readings in virtual research ethics, ed. Elizabeth Buchanan, 274–287. Hershey: Idea Group.Google Scholar
- Walstrom, Mary K. 2004. Ethics and engagement in communication scholarship: Analyzing public, online support groups as research/participant-experiencer. In Readings in virtual research ethics, ed. Elizabeth Buchanan, 174–202. Hershey: Idea Group.Google Scholar
- Zwitter, Andrej. 2014. Big data ethics. Big data and society. July-December 2014: 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1177/2053951714559253. Nov 2014.