Stability and electronic properties of pure aluminum clusters
The electronic and geometrical structures of neutral and charged clusters AI N , N 00000 22, are calculated using ab initio density functional theory (DFT). The geometries obtained are in agreement with those of ab initio molecular dynamics. The binding energy is proportional to the inverse of the cluster radius, with a slight overhinding with respect to the experiment. The vertical ionization potentials follow the oscillations found experimentally. The photoelectron density of states for the anions are in agreement with the experimental results,The s, p, and d characters of the Kohn—Sham orbitals are obtained as a function of the size, and it is shown that the s—p hybridization starts at Al8 both for neutral and anionic clusters. The deeper Kohn—Sham eigenvalues follow the pattern of a spherical jellium-like model. The occupation of the p band is found to be one electron per atom in the cluster; this agrees with experimental results.
PACS36.40.Mr Spectroscopy and geometrical structure of clusters 61.46.+w Clusters, nanoparticles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.F. Jarrold: in Clusters of Atoms and Molecules I, ed. by H. Haberland ( Springer, Berlin 1995 ) p. 288Google Scholar
- 6.W. Kohn: in Density Functional Theory, ed. by E.K.U. Gross, R.M. Dreizier ( Plenum Press, New York 1995 )Google Scholar
- 8.J.G. Aguilar, A. Mafianes, M.J. Lopez, M.P. Ifiiguez, J.A. Alonso: Int. J. Quantum Chern. 56, 589 (1995); A. MafianeS, M.P. Ifiiguez, M.J. López, J.A. Alonso: Phys. Rev. B 42, 5000 (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.G. te Velde, E.J. Baerends: J. Comput. Chem. 99, 84 (1992); P.M. Boerriger, G. te Velde, E.J. Baeredens: J. Quantum Chem. 33, 87 (1988)Google Scholar
- 12.J.E. Fowler, J.M. Ugalde: Phys. Rev, A 58, 383 (1998); S.H. Yang, D.A. Drabolcl, J.B. Adams, A. Sachdev: Phys. Rev. B 47, 1567 (1993); H.-P. Cheng, R.S. Berry, R.L. Whetten: Phys. Rev, B 43, 10 647 (1991)Google Scholar