Greengold, a giant cluster compound of unusual electronic structure
We report the isolation of a previously elusive giant gold-cluster compound with unusual electronic structure and excellent solid-state ordering properties, Greengold is a water-soluble Au:PR3 compound (R = p-C6H4 — CONHCH3) formed in high yield in the solution-phase reduction of R3PAuCl, Following chromatographic isolation, it has been investigated by electron microscopy (STEM), optical spectroscopy, mass spectrometry (MALDI), and X-ray diffraction, from which emerges a consistent picture of Greengold’s intrinsic characteristics as (i) a single compound of ~ 22 000 amu molecular weight, containing a strongly bound globular metal core of mass 14 800 (Au75, 1,3-nm equivalent diameter); (ii) a highly ordered solid, exhibiting diffraction through 21 orders of a 2.47-nm spacing; and (iii) a carrier of a highly structured optical absorption across the entire visible and near-infrared spectrum (to ~ 1.0 eV), including relative transparency in the blue and yellow regions, giving rise to its eponymous green tint.
PACS61.46.+w Clusters, nanoparticles, and nanocrystalline materials
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D.M.P. Mingos: J. Chem. Soc. Dalton Trans. 561 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.G. Schmid- Inorg, Synth. 27, 214 (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.G. Schmid, R. Pfeil, R. Boese, T. Bandermann, S. Meyer, G.H.M. Calls, J.W.A. van-der-Velden: Chem. Ber. 3634 (1981)Google Scholar
- 9.D. Fenske, G. Longoni, G. Schmid: in Clusters and colloids: from theory to applications, ed. by G. Schmid ( VCH, Weinheim 1994 )Google Scholar
- 10.W. Vogel, B. Rosner, B. Tesche: J. Phys. Chem. 97, 11 611 (1993)Google Scholar
- 16.C.J. McNeal, R.E.P, Winpenny, J.M. Hughes, R.D. MacFarlane, L.iI. Pïgnolet, L.T.J. Nelson, T.G. Gardner, L.H. Irgens, G. Vigh, J.J.P. Fackler: Inorg. Chem. 32, 5582 (1993)Google Scholar
- 17.K. Fauth, U. Kreibig, G Schmid. Z. Phys. D 20, 297 (1991)Google Scholar
- 18.D.H. Rapoport, W. Vogel, H. Colfen, R. Schlögi: J. Phys. Chem. 101, 4175 (1997)Google Scholar
- 21.D.C. Duff, A. Balker, P.P. Edwards: J. Chem, Soc. Chem. Commun. 96 (1993)Google Scholar
- 26.T.G. Schaaff: Ph.D. Dissertation, Georgia Institute of Technology (1998)Google Scholar