Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Pathological Female Pelvis: Assessment of 24 Patients with High-Field Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has proven to be a very promising method in evaluating the normal and pathological female pelvis [1–5]. The present study was undertaken to determine the importance of MRI in the evaluation of primary tumours in the genital tract with respect to location, size and extent of the tumour. A total of 24 patients were imaged and the tumour identified histologically, MRI is valuable because it can demonstrate tumour location and size without administering contrast medium and with multiplanar images. Enhancement of the intestine by oral administration of Gadolinium-diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid (Gd-DTPA) was demonstrated in one patient.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bryan PJ, Butler HE, Lipuma JP (1984) Magnetic resonance imaging of the pelvis. Radiol Clin North 22:897–915Google Scholar
- 4.Lee JKT, Gersell DJ, Balfe DM, Worthington JL, Picus D, Gapp G (1987) The uterus: in vitro MR — anatomic correlation of normal and abnormal specimens. Radiology 157:175–179Google Scholar
- 6.Hricak H, Lacey CG, Sandles LG, Chang YCF, Winkler ML, Stern JL (1988) Invasive cervical carcinoma: comparison of MR imaging and surgical findings. Radiology 166:623–631Google Scholar
- 7.Togashi K, Nishimura K, Itoh K, Fujisawa I, Asato R, Nakano Y, Itoh H, Torizuka K, Ozasa H, Mori T (1986) Uterine cervical cancer: assessment with high-field MR imaging. Radiology 160:431–435Google Scholar
- 8.Dooms GC, Hricak H, Tscholakoff D (1986) Adnexal structures: MR imaging Radiology 158:639–646Google Scholar
- 10.Hricak H, Stern JL, Fisher MR, Shapeerd LG, Winkler ML, Lacey CG (1987) Endometrial carcinoma staging by MR imaging. Radiology 162:297–305Google Scholar
- 11.Worthington JL, Balfe DM, Lee JKT, Gersell DJ, Heiken JP, Ling D, Glazer HS, Jacobs AJ, Kao MS, McClennan BL (1986) Uterine neoplasms: MR imaging. Radiology 159:725–730Google Scholar
- 12.Hricak H, Tscholakoff D, Heinrichs L, Fisher MR, Dooms G, Reinhold Ch, Jaffe RB (1986) Uterine leiomyomas: correlation of MR, histopathologic findings, and symptoms. Radiology 158:385–391Google Scholar
- 13.Mitchell DG, Mintz MC, Spritzer CE, Gussman D, Arger PN, Coleman BG, Axel L, Kressel HY (1987) Adnexal masses: MR imaging observation at 1.5 T, with US and CT correlation. Radiology 162:319–324Google Scholar
- 15.Togashi K, Nishimura K, Itoh K, Fujisawa I, Sago T, Minami S, Nakano Y, Itoh H, Torizuka K, Ozasa H (1987) Ovarian cystic teratomas: MR imaging. Radiology 162:669–673Google Scholar
- 16.Nishimura K, Togashi K, Itoh K, Fujisawa I, Noma S, Kawamura Y, Nakano Y, Itoh H, Torizuka K, Ozasa H (1987) Endometrial cysts of the ovary: MR imaging. Radiology 162:315–318Google Scholar