High-Resolution Particle Analysis — Its Application to Platelet Counting and Suggestions for Further Application in Blood Cell Analysis
The characteristics of an instrument for high-resolution particle analysis in flow are discussed. It employs a combination of hydrodynamic focusing, fluid resistors, and electronic techniques to achieve precision and ease of use heretofore unobtainable in a moderate-cost clinical instrument. Its application to whole blood platelet counting is discussed, and suggestions are made for its possible application to a wide variety of blood cell measurements.
Key WordsPlatelets Counting Sizing Aggregation Hydrodynamic focusing Blood cells.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BAUER, J., VALET, G.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- BACUS, J. W., WATT, S., TROBAUGH, F. E.: Clinical evaluation of the Ultra-Flow 100 whole blood platelet analyzer (in press) 1979 Google Scholar
- BANGS, L. B.: Plain Particles. Catalog data sheet, Dow Chemical, Midland, Michigan 48640. February 1978 Google Scholar
- BESSIS, M., MOHANDAS, N.: A diffractometric method for the measurement of cellular deformability. Blood Cells 1, 307–313, 1975 Google Scholar
- BORN, G.V.R.: Quantitative investigations into the aggregation of blood platelets. J. Physiol. 162, 67P-68P, 1962 Google Scholar
- College of American Pathologists Laboratory Survey Set H-A Hematology-Clinical Microscopy. Chicago, CAP, 1979, 5 pGoogle Scholar
- COULTER, W. H.: Means for counting particles suspended in a fluid. U.S. Patent 2, 656, 508, 1953 Google Scholar
- HARTMANN, R. C.: Tests of platelet adhesiveness and their clinical significance. Semin. Hematol 5, 60–72, 1968 Google Scholar
- Haynes, J. L., Shoor, B. A.: Particle density measuring system. U.S. Patent 4, 110, 604, 1978 Google Scholar
- MCKAY, D. G.: Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation; an Intermediary Mechanism of Disease.New York, Harper and Row, 1965 Google Scholar
- MEL, H. C., YEE, J. P.: Erythrocyte size and deformability studies by resistive pulse spectroscopy. Blood Cells 1, 391–399, 1975 Google Scholar
- Red Cell Form and Deformability. Blood Cells 1, 269–404, 1975 Google Scholar
- Red Cell Rheology. Blood Cells 3, 1–438, 1977 Google Scholar
- Ross, D. W.: A new technique for surveillance of response to chemotherapy in leukemia. Blood Cells 3, 677–686, 1977 Google Scholar
- THOM, R.: Vergleichende Untersuchungen zur Elektronischen Zellvolumen-Analyse. A.E.G. Telefun-ken, Publ. Nl/EP, Ulm-Donau, W. Germany, 1972 Google Scholar
- von BEHRENS, W.E.: Platelet Size. Doctoral thesis, University of Adelaide, Australia, 1972 Google Scholar