Integrated Laser Doppler Velocimeter made by Ion-Exchange in Glass Substrate
A fully integrated laser Doppler velocimeter made by ion-exchange in a glass substrate is presented. Thanks to the integration of both the emission and reception systems, no optical adjustment are required. Beside, when flush mounted on a wall, this LDV does not collect the unwanted reflected light caused by the proximity of that wall. It is thus well suited for velocity measurements in boundary layers. In this paper, the fabrication technique is thoroughly described and some qualifications are commented. In the prospect of wall shear stress measurements, it is also shown that, by optimizing the waveguiding structure, highly localized velocity measurements are accessible.
KeywordsIntegrated Velocimeter LDV LDA Integrated Optics Ion-Exchange
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hanratty TH.J., Campbell J.A., 1983, “Chapter 11: Measurement of wall shear stress”, in Fluid Mechanics Measurements, Golstein R.J. Ed., Hemisphere Publishing Corp., distributed by Springer-Verlag, pp. 559–611.Google Scholar
- Leprince F., Riethmuller M.L., 1986, “LDV Measurements in a viscous sublayer: determination of skin friction”, Laser Techniques and Applications in Fluids Mechanics — Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium, Lisbon, Portugal, paper 1–6.Google Scholar
- Dybbs A., Edwards R.V., 1987, “Refractive index matching for difficult situations”, 2nd Int. Conf. Laser Anemometry – Advances and Applications, Glascow, UK, BHRA, Cranfield, paper 1–22.Google Scholar
- Durst F., Keck T., Kleine R., 1985, “Turbulence quantities and Reynolds stress in pipe flow of polymer solutions”, 1st Int. Conf. Laser Anemometry – Advances and Applications, Manchester, UK, BHRA, Cranfield, paper 35–52.Google Scholar
- Petrik S., Naqwi A.A., Durst F., 1992, “Fiber optic dual-cylindrical wave sensor for measurement of flow velocity gradients”, 2nd French-German workshop on Optical Measurement Techniques — Fibers Optics and Instrumentation, 13–14 October, St. Etienne, France.Google Scholar