Three-Component Laser-Doppler Measurements of the Confined Model Flow Behind a Swirl Nozzle
Results are reported of three-component laser-Doppler measurements in the highly complex flow field behind a model nozzle as used for the atomization of liquid fuel in gas turbines. The flow field consists of two concentric air streams leaving a concentric dual nozzle system both with slightly different but equally directed swirls. The outer ring flow forms a 1 mm thick ring film which interacts strongly with the inner flow and the surrounding flow field.
Mean and rms velocities were measured as well as double and triple cross-correlations of the three velocity components. Frequency analysis exhibited a strong coherent fluctuation of the radial velocity component near the nozzle exit. The measured data are needed to improve atomization and combustion effectiveness and for numerical modelling of the flow.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blümcke, E., Eickhoff, H., Hassa, C. 1989, Untersuchungen zur turbulenten Partikeldispersion an einer Luftstromzerstäuberdüse, VDI-Berichte Nr 765, pp. 635–644, VDI-Verlag GmbH, Düsseldorf, 1996, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Brandt, M., Hassa, C., Eickhoff, H. 1992, An Experimental Study of Spray- Gasphase Interaction for a Co-Swirling Airblast Atomizer, Proc. Eighth Annual European Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Sept./Oct. 1992, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Google Scholar
- Hassa, C., Blümcke, E., Brandt, M., Eickhoff, H. 1992, Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of a Research Atomizer/Combustion Chamber Configuration, Proc. International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress and Exposition, June 1992, Cologne, Germany. Google Scholar
- Hassa, C., Deick, A., Eickhoff, H. 1993, Investigation of the Two-Phase Flow in a Research Combustor under Reacting and Non-Reacting Conditions, AGARD Conference Proc. 536 on ‘Fuels and Combustion Technology for Advanced Aircraft Engines, May 1993, pp. 41–1 to 41–12, Fiuggv. Italy. Google Scholar
- Hassa, C., 1994, Experimentelle Untersuchung der turbulenten Partikeldispersion in Drallströmungen, Thesis, Research Report No. 94–20, Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Luft- und Raumfahrt, Institut für Antriebstechnik, Cologne, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Hassa, C., Arold, M., 1995, Investigation of Droplet Concentration Fluctuations in a Research Spray Combustion Chamber,Proc. 11th European Conference of ILASS-Europe on Atomization and Sprays, Nürnberg Messe GmbH, D-90471 Nürnberg. Germany, edited by Bauckhage, K., Univ. of Bremen, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Hoffmeister, M., Hertwig, K., Kreul, K.-J., Kretschmar, H., Erler, K., 1996, Modellierung von turbulenten Drallstrahlen für Brennkammern von Flugtriebwerken, VDI-Fortschritt-Bericht, Reihe 7: Strömungstechnik, Nr. 291, VDI-Verlag GmbH, Düsseldorf, 1996, GermanyGoogle Scholar