Correlation of Filling History with Seismicity Near Artificial Water Reservoirs
Relationship of filling history with seismicity is examined for several cases of earthquakes triggered by artificial water reservoirs. Various factors affecting delay time between reservoir impounding and triggering of seismicity are examined. These factors include ambient stress, hypocentral distance from reservoir boundary and hydraulic permeability besides height and capacity of the dam. High rate of filling of dams, subsequent to a critical impounding is identified as a major factor influencing the time of occurrence of seismicity. The effect of rapid filling is explained as due to transient response to loading having a decay time of pore pressure to be shorter than the loading rate.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gupta, H.K., H. Narain, B.K. Rastogi and I. Mohan (1969). A study of Koyna earthquake of Dec. 10, 1967, Bull.Seism. Soc. Am. 59: 1149–1162.Google Scholar
- Gupta, H.K., Rastogi, B.K., and Narain, H. (1972 a). Common Features of the Reservoir Associated Seismic Activities, Bull.Seism.Soc.Am. 62: 481–492.Google Scholar
- Gupta, H.K., Rastogi, B.K., and Narain, H.(1972 b). Some dis-criminatory characteristics of earthquakes near the Kariba, Kremasta and Koyna artificial lakes. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 62: 493–507.Google Scholar
- Gupta, H.K. and Rastogi, B.K. (1976). Dams and Earthquakes. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co.,Netherlands, 229 pp.Google Scholar
- Gupta, H.K. (1983),Induced Seismicity Hazard Mitigation Manipulation at Koyna, India: A suggestion“, Bull.Seism.Soc.Am., 73: 679–682.Google Scholar
- Gupta, H.K.(1992). Reservoir Induced Earthquakes. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co., Netherlands, 364 pp.Google Scholar
- Rastogi, B.K. (1990).Control of Reservoir Induced Seismicity by Management of Water Levels at Bhatsa and Srisailam Reservoirs. Bull.Ind.Soc.Earth.Tech., 27 (4): 53–64.Google Scholar
- Rastogi, B.K.(1994). Latur earthquake not triggered. Mem. Geol.Soc. Ind. No.35, 131–138.Google Scholar
- Rastogi, B.K., R.K. Chadha and C.S.P. Sarma (1995). Investigations of June 7, 1988 earthquake of Magnitude 4.5 near Idukki Dam in southern India. PAGEOPH.Google Scholar
- Sengupta, A. and S.K. Saxena (1986). A Model of Reservoir Induced Seismicity, Proc. 8th Symp.Earthq. Engg. I: 79–86.Google Scholar
- Simpson, D.W., S.Kh. Negmatullaev, (1978). “Induced Seismicity Studies in Soviet Central Asia, Eq.Inf. Bull. 10 (6), 209–213.Google Scholar
- Snow, D.T. (1972). Geodynamics of Seismic Reservoirs, Proc. Symp. Percolation through Fissured Rock, Deutsche Fesellschaft fur Erdund Grundban, Stuttgart, T 2-J: 1–19Google Scholar
- Talwani, P. and S. Acree (1985). Pore pressure diffusion and the mechanism of Reservoir Induced Seismicity, Pure and Appl. Geophys. 122(6): 947–965.Google Scholar