The Triggering of Aftershocks: Part I: A Search for Tidal Periodicities in the 1989 Loma Prieta (California) Aftershock Sequence
The spectrum of the 1989 Loma Prieta (California) aftershock sequence was examined for the existence of 12 and 24 hour tidal periods. Approximately 6000 aftershocks in the range ML≥1 were included in the study. No significant peaks were seen at the tidal periods. No evidence for tidal triggering of the aftershocks has been found.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, M.W., 1936. The lunar triggering effect on earthquakes in Southern California. Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 26, 147–157.Google Scholar
- Childers, D. and Durling, A., 1975. Digital filtering and signal processing. West Publishing co., 539 p.Google Scholar
- Eaton, J.P., O’Neill, M.E. and Murdock, J.N., 1970 Aftershocks of 1966 ParkfieldChalome, California, earthquake - a detailed study.Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 60, 1151.Google Scholar
- Fadeli, A., Rydelek, P.A., Emter, D. and Ziirn, W., 1991. On volcanic shocks at Merapi and tidal triggering. in Volcanic Ttremor and Magma Flow edited by R. Schick and R. Mugiono. Forschungszentrum Jülich.Google Scholar
- Kamal and Mansinha, L., 1995 The Triggering of Aftershocks: Part II. Normal Mode Periodicities in the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake Aftershock Sequence.This volume. Google Scholar
- Knopoff, L, 1964. Earth tides as a triggering mechanism for earthquakes. Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 54, 1865–1870.Google Scholar
- Oldham, R.D., 1902. On the tidal periodicity in the earthquakes of Assam. Jour. Asiatic Soc. Bengal, 71, 139–153.Google Scholar
- Oldham, R.D., 1903. The diurnal variation in frequency of the aftershocks of the great earthquake of June 12, 1897. Mem. Geol. Surv. India, 35, 1–34.Google Scholar
- Omori, F., 1904. Note on the lunar-daily distribution of earthquakes.Pub. Eqke. Inv. Comm. Tokyo, 18, 27–40.Google Scholar
- Phillips, E.S., 1917, Great earthquakes and certain lunar longitudes.English Mechanic, 105, 25.Google Scholar
- Ryall, A., Van Wormer, J.D. and Jones, A.E., 1968, Triggering of micro-earthquakes by earth tides, and other features of the Truckee, California earthquake sequence of September, 1966. Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 58, 215–248.Google Scholar
- Shaw, J.J., 1917, Earthquakes and lunar longitudes. English Mechanic, 104, 473.Google Scholar
- Souriau, M., Souriau, A. and Gagnepain, J., 1982, Modeling and detecting interactions between earth tides and earthquakes with application to an aftershock sequence in the Pyrenees. Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 72, 165–180.Google Scholar