Semi-supervised Self-organizing Feature Map for Gene Expression Data Classification
In this article, a one-dimensional self-organizing feature map (SOFM) neural network integrated with semi-supervised learning is used to predict the class label of gene expression data under the scarcity of the labeled patterns. Iterative learning of the semi-supervised SOFM network is carried out using a few labeled patterns along with some selected unlabeled patterns. The unlabeled patterns, for which the maximum target value is greater than a threshold, are selected as the confident ones. Results are found to be encouraging.
KeywordsSemi-supervised learning gene expression data self- organizing feature map
- 3.Chandrasekhar, T., Thangavel, K., Elayaraja, E.: Gene expression data clustering using unsupervised methods. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computing (ICoAC), pp. 146–150 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Chapelle, O., Schölkopf, B., Zien, A.: Semi-supervised Learning. MIT Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Haykin, S.: Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Srinivas, V.R.: Bioinformatics: A Modern Approach, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Valentini, G.: Supervised gene expression data analysis using support vector machines and multi-layer perceptrons. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information & Engineering Systems (2002)Google Scholar