Transportation of Huanghe River-Discharged-Suspended Sediments in Nearshore of Huanghe River Delta in Conditions of Different Estuary Channels
- 1.9k Downloads
Periodical estuary-channel diversion, which intensely affects the coastal environment near Huanghe River Delta (HRD), is an important character of Huanghe River. To understand the differences in Huanghe river-suspended sediments (HRSS) transport in the nearshore of HRD under different estuary-channel conditions, Transportations of HRSS in conditions of two estuary channels were compared by numerical simulations. Results showed that longshore-transport pathways of HRSS, and thus the primarily HRSS-influenced coastal waters, were extremely varied in two estuary-channel conditions, that the dispersion area and distance of HRSS in condition of Diaokou Channel was larger and longer than that in condition of Qingshuigou Channel, and that HRSS transported from estuary to outer offshore was stronger in condition of Diaokou Channel than that in condition of Qingshuigou Channel. HRSS transport along longshore-transport pathways was also stronger in condition of Diaokou Channel than that in condition of Qingshuigou Channel.
KeywordsEstuary channel diversion Sediment transport The Huanghe River The Bohai Sea
This work was sponsored by Yangtze University Start-up Foundation (Grant No. CJDX-D2010196) and the National Natural Science Foundation, China (No. 40771030, No. 40571020 and No. 31170400).
- Editorial Board for Marine Atlas. (1993). Marine atlas of Bohai Sea, Yellow Sea and East China Sea (Hydrology sub-atlas). Beijing (In Chinese): China Ocean Press.Google Scholar
- Gu, Y., Wu, Z. K., Lü, X. Q. (2005). Estimation of bottom friction coefficient for a 2-D nonlinear tidal model of the Bohai Sea by the adjoint method. Transaction of Oceanology and Limnology, (3), 1–7(In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Huang, H. J., Li, F., Pang, J. Z., et al. (2005). Study on the interaction between Huanghe River and Bohai Sea and Yellow Sea. Beijing (In Chinese): Science Press.Google Scholar
- Li, F. Y., Gao, S., Jia, J. J. (2002). Contemporary deposition rates of fine-grained sediment in the Bohai and Yellow seas. Oceanologia Et Limnologia Sinica, 33(4), 364–369 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Li, Z. G. (1990) Flow field outside estuary of the Yellow River and its characteristics. Yellow River, 12(4), 31–36 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Li, Y. F., Wu, C. P., Wang, D. C., et al. (2007) Analysis on estuary regulation of Yellow River. Water Resources and Hydropower Engineering, 38(10), 21–23 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Lü, X. Q., Tian, J. W., & Wu, Z. K. (2003). The bottom friction coefficients of the Bohai Sea and the Huanghai Sea. Acta Mechanica Sinica, 35(4), 465–468.Google Scholar
- NOAA/OAR/ESRLPSD, Boulder, Colorado, USA (2008). http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.ncep.ranalysis2.html. Accessed: 20 June 2008.
- Pang, J. Z., Si, S. H. (1979). The estuary changes of Huanghe River I: changes in modern time. Oceanologia Et Limnologia Sinica, 10(2), 136–142 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Ren, M. E. (2006). Sediment discharge of the Yellow River, China: Past, Present and Future—A Synthesis. Advances in Earth Science, 21(6), 551–563 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Shen, Z. L., Le, K. T. (1993). Effects of the Yellow River estuary location changes on its hydrochemical environment. Studia Marina Sinica (34), 93–105 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Thad, A. W., Shawn, A., & Liu, P. S. (2004). Geomorphic context of channel locational probabilities along the Lower Mississippi River. USA. Geomorphology, 63(3–4), 145–158.Google Scholar
- Wang, K. R., Yao, W. Y., Zhang, X. F., et al. (2001). Status and harness of the Yellow River estuary. Marine Sciences, 25(10), 52–54.Google Scholar
- Xue, X. H., Li, G. S., & Wang, H. L. (2011). A numerical comparative study on residual currents along the Yellow River Delta during two different estuary channel: a typical case of early periods of Diaokou and Qingshuigou channel. Marine Science Bulletin, 30(2), 141–150.Google Scholar
- Yang, G. F., Li, P., & Zhang, J. Y. (1991). Deposition along the Huanghe River Delta and Dispersion of Huanghe River-Delivered Sediments (pp. 195–206). Beijing: Geology Press.Google Scholar
- Zhao, G. L. (2006). Study on the longshore sediment transport and coastal erosion situation in the modern Yellow River Delta area. Coastal Engineering, 25(2), 29–38.Google Scholar