Feature Extraction Based on Co-occurrence of Adjacent Local Binary Patterns
In this paper, we propose a new image feature based on spatial co-occurrence among micropatterns, where each micropattern is represented by a Local Binary Pattern (LBP). In conventional LBP-based features such as LBP histograms, all the LBPs of micropatterns in the image are packed into a single histogram. Doing so discards important information concerning spatial relations among the LBPs, even though they may contain information about the image’s global structure. To consider such spatial relations, we measure their co-occurrence among multiple LBPs. The proposed feature is robust against variations in illumination, a feature inherited from the original LBP, and simultaneously retains more detail of image. The significant advantage of the proposed method versus conventional LBP-based features is demonstrated through experimental results of face and texture recognition using public databases.
KeywordsImage feature extraction local binary pattern (LBP) co-occurrence face recognition texture recognition
- 2.Zhang, W., Shan, S., Gao, W., Chen, X., Zhang, H.: Local Gabor Binary Pattern Histogram Sequence (LGBPHS): A Novel Non-Statistical Model for Face Representation and Recognition. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 1, pp. 786–791 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhao, G., Pietikäinen, M.: Dynamic Texture Recognition Using Local Binary Patterns with an Application to Facial Expressions. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 915–928 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Lei, Z., Liao, S., He, R., Pietikainen, M., Li, S.: Gabor volume based local binary pattern for face representation and recognition. In: Proc. IEEE Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 1–6 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Watanabe, T., Ito, S., Yokoi, K.: Co-occurrence Histograms of Oriented Gradients for Pedestrian Detection. In: Proc. the 3rd IEEE Pacific-Rim Symposium on Image and Video Technology, pp. 37–47 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Ojala, T., Mäenpää, T., Pietikäinen, M., Viertola, J., Kyllönen, J., Huovinen, S.: Outex - new framework for empirical evaluation of texture analysis algorithms. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. 701–706 (2002)Google Scholar