Identification of the Root Canal from Dental Micro-CT Records
This paper presents a novel semi-automated image processing procedure dedicated to the identification and characterization of the dental root canal, based on high-resolution micro-CT records. After the necessary image enhancement, parallel slices are individually segmented via histogram based quick fuzzy c-means clustering. The 3D model of root canal is built up from the segmented cross sections using the reconstruction of the inner surface, and the medial line is extracted by a 3D curve skeletonization algorithm. The central line of the root canal can finally be approximated as a 3D spline curve. The proposed procedure may support the planning of several kinds of endodontic interventions.
Keywordsimage processing skeleton extraction micro computed tomography fuzzy c-means algorithm
- 1.Analoui, M., Krisnamurthy, S., Brown, C.: Modeling and measurement of root canal using stereo digital radiography. In: Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, vol. 3976, pp. 306–314 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Endo, M., Kobashi, S., Kondo, K., Hata, Y.: Dentistry support ultrasonic system for root canal treatment aided by fuzzy logic. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 2, pp. 1494–1499 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Hong, S.Y., Dong, J.: 3-D root canal modeling for advanced endodontic treatment. In: Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, vol. 4702, pp. 321–330 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.van Soest, G., Shemesh, H., Wu, M.K., van der Sluis, L.W.M., Wesselink, P.R.: Optical coherence tomography for endodontic imaging. In: Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE 6843, vol. 6843, art. no. 68430F, pp. 1–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Szilágyi, L., Benyó, Z., Szilágyi, S.M., Adam, H.S.: MR brain image segmentation using an enhanced fuzzy c-means algorithm. In: 25th Annual Int’l. Conference of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 724–726 (2003)Google Scholar