Multibeam Echosounder Simulator Applying Noise Generator for the Purpose of Sea Bottom Visualisation
Hydroacoustic data form almost the only basis for seabed imaging . The accuracy of scanning devices is therefore crucial for the reliability of the images. In the paper, the precision of the Simrad EM3000 multibeam echosounder was examined by means of statistical methods on real data. The maximum and mean errors were estimated, the correlation of error value and angle between the beam and the vertical line could be observed as well. The results of the experiments will help to increase the accuracy of terrain modeling of the sea bottom what will result in more realistic visualizations.The results of those experiments were implemented in the multibeam echosounder simulator.
Keywordsbathymetric data processing multibeam echosounder error of measurement simulation
- 1.Stateczny, A. (ed.): The methods of the comparative navigation. Scientific Association of Gdansk (2004) (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 2.Sutherland, T.F., Galloway, J., Loschiavo, R., Levings, C.D., Hare, R.: Calibration techniques and sampling resolution requirements for groundtruthing multibeam acoustic backscatter (EM3000) and QTC VIEW(TM) classification technology. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 75(4), 447–458 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Maleika, W., Pałczyński, M., Frejlichowski, D., Stateczny, A.: Analysis of survey data collected using Simrad EM3000 multibeam echosounder. Methods of Applied Computer Science (4/2010), 55–64 (2010) (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 8.Maleika, W., Pałczyński, M.: Virtual multibeam echosounder in investigations on sea bottom modeling. Methods of Applied Computer Science (4/2008), 111–120 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Maleika, W., Pałczyński, M.: Development of Virtual Multibeam Echosounder. Accepted for Publication in WAT Bulletin, vol. 1 (2011) (in Polish)Google Scholar