Breast Cancer Related Facts: Comparison between Korea and Austria
- 369 Downloads
Background: Epidemiological data show that breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide . In Korea breast cancer still ranks behind stomach, lung, colorectal, liver, gallbladder cancer as a cause of death in women. Epidemiological features suggest that the breast cancer incidence rate in Korea will increase . Although the incidence of malign breast tumor in Korea is significantly lower compared to western countries, the rising number of breast cancer patients in Korea is alarming . Austria is one of the leading nations in breast cancer research .
Objective: This Summary of breast cancer related epidemiological facts and studies should provide information to a broad collective of scientists of different specializations at the Europe Korea Conference 2010. This paper should line out the difference of breast cancer related epidemiological facts between Korea and Austria and give basis for discussion concerning public health issues. Methods: Online research using Pubmed and Google as search tools relevant papers and statistics were collected and summarized.
Conclusion: The comparison of the epidemiological data indicates that the breast cancer incidence rate in Korea will reach the incidence rate in Austria in the future. Since Austria plays a leading role in the fight against breast cancer, the Austrian breast care standards could play a role model for the benefit of Korean public health.
KeywordsBreast Cancer Gallbladder Cancer Breast Cancer Incidence Korean Woman Malign Breast Tumor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ferlay, J., et al.: GLOBOCAN 2000: Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide, IARC Cancer Base No. 5 (1.0) (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Yoo, K.Y., et al.: Epidemiology of Breast Cancer in Korea: Occurrence, High-Risk Groups, and Prevention. J. Korean Med. Sci. 17, 1–6 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group (2010), http://www.abcsg.org/globalPlayer.html
- 5.Statistik Austria (2010), http://www.statistik.at/web_de/statistiken/gesundheit/krebserkrankungen/index.html
- 7.Robert Koch Institut- Krebsregisterdaten (2002),http://www.rki.de/cln_169/DE/Content/GBE/DachdokKrebs/krebs__node.html?__nnn=true
- 8.Ministry of Health and Welfare ROK. National Cancer Control Guideline (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group (2010), http://www.abcsg.at/abcsg/html_patienten/vorteile.html#brusterhaltung
- 11.Brustgesundheitszentrum Linz (2010), http://www.brust-gesundheitszentrum.at/index_html?sc=48524310
- 12.Lee, J., et al.: Cancer Incidence Among Korean-American Immigrants in the United States and Native Koreans in South Korea. Cancer Control 14(1), 79–85 (2007)Google Scholar