A Smartphone-Based Obstacle Sensor for the Visually Impaired
In this paper, we present a real-time obstacle detection system for the mobility improvement for the visually impaired using a handheld Smartphone. Though there are many existing assistants for the visually impaired, there is not a single one that is low cost, ultra-portable, non-intrusive and able to detect the low-height objects on the floor. This paper proposes a system to detect any objects attached to the floor regardless of their height. Unlike some existing systems where only histogram or edge information is used, the proposed system combines both cues and overcomes some limitations of existing systems. The obstacles on the floor in front of the user can be reliably detected in real time using the proposed system implemented on a Smartphone. The proposed system has been tested in different types of floor conditions and a field trial on five blind participants has been conducted. The experimental results demonstrate its reliability in comparison to existing systems.
KeywordsObstacle detection visually impaired real-time monocular vision
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benjamin, J.M., Ali, N.A., Schepis, A.F.: A Laser Cane for the Blind. In: Proceedings of the San Diego Biomedical Symposium, vol. 12, pp. 53–57 (1973)Google Scholar
- 5.Liebelt, J., Schmid, C., Schertler, K.: Viewpoint-independent object class detection using 3D feature maps. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Plagemann, C., Endres, F., Hess, J., Stachniss, C., Burgard, W.: Monocular range sensing: a non-parametric learning approach. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, ICRA (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Tan, C., Hong, T., Chang, T., Shneier, M.: Color model-based real-time learning for road following. In: Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, ITSC (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Taylor, T., Geva, S., Boles, W.W.: Monocular vision as a range sensor. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Modelling, CIMCA (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Tola, E., Knorr, S., Imre, E., Alatan, A.A., Sikora, T.: Structure from motion in dynamic scenes with multiple motions. In: Workshop on Immersive Communication and Broadcast Systems, ICOB (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Ulrich, I., Nourbakhsh, I.: Appearance-based obstacle detection with monocular color vision. In: Proceedings of the AAAI National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.The Association for the Blind of WA (2010), http://www.abwa.asn.au
- 17.GDP Research (2010), http://www.gdp-research.com.au
- 18.Minoru 3D webcam (2010), http://www.minoru3d.com
- 19.Currently Available Electronic Travel Aids for the Blind (2010), http://www.noogenesis.com/eta/current.html