Getting Ready for the “School of the Future”: Key Questions and Tentative Answers
This paper explores some key aspects of “today’s school”, as opposed to those that have characterized “yesterday’s school”, with the final aim of shedding light on “tomorrow’s school”. In this direction, the paper puts forward tentative answers to some key questions related to the new characteristics and roles of teachers and students (main actors of the learning process) and the new features/ potentialities of contemporary educational tools which, in turn, require the enactment of innovative pedagogical approaches and educational methods. The emerging picture of the present learning landscape helps in figuring out a future situation where learning possibilities are substantially increased.
KeywordsFormal Education Learning Innovation Educational Approaches School Systems Technology Enhanced Learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Augar, N., Raitman, R., Zhou, W.: Teaching and learning online with wikis. Paper presented at the ASCILITE Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education 2004 Conference, Perth (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Eysink, T.H.S., de Jong, T., Berthold, K., Kolloffel, B., Opfermann, M., Wouters, P.: Learner Performance in Multimedia Learning Arrangements: An Analysis Across Instructional Approaches. American Educational Research Journal (2009), http://aer.sagepub.com/cgi/rapidpdf/0002831209340235v1.pdf (accessed January 2010)
- 5.Ferrari, A., Cachia, R., Punie, Y.: Innovation and Creativity in Education and Training in the EU Member States: Fostering Creative Learning and Supporting Innovative Teaching (2009), http://ftp.jrc.es/EURdoc/JRC52374_TN.pdf (accessed January 2010)
- 7.Khan, W.A.: Interview. A World of Science, UNESCO (2003), http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=11958&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html (accessed January 2010)
- 10.Midoro, V.: Editorial, TD - Tecnologie Didattiche, 48 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Prensky, M.: Digital natives, Digital Immigrants. On the Horizon 9(5) (2001), http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf (accessed January 2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Punie, Y., Carneiro, R.: The New Learning Generation. eLearning Papers 17 (2009), http://www.elearningpapers.eu/index.php?page=volume (accessed January 2010)
- 15.UNESCO. Information and Communication Technologies in Schools, a handbook for teachers (2005), http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0013/001390/139028e.pdf (accessed January 2010)
- 16.Vavoula, G.N., Sharples, M.: KLeOS. A personal, mobile, knowledge and learning organization system. In: Milrad, M., Hoppe, U., Kinshuk (eds.) Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Mobile and Wireless Technologies in Education (WMTE 2002), Vaxjo, Sweeden, August 29-30, pp. 152–156 (2002)Google Scholar