The Roles of Weather Insurance and the Carbon Market
This chapter discusses two financial markets — the carbon and weather markets — and their potential role in helping stakeholders address climate change more effectively. While this chapter focuses on how these markets can benefit the poor in developing countries, it also examines the major constraints that must be addressed before the poor can gain access to carbon and weather markets. It also suggests how governments and donors might effectively facilitate sustainable carbon and weather market activity in developing countries.
KeywordsClean Development Mechanism Carbon Market Index Insurance Weather Index Biogas Digester
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Sources for Summary Table
- Agroasemex (2006a) The Mexican Experience in the Development and Operation of Parametric Insurances Applied to Agriculture. Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Agroasemex (2006b) The Mexican Experience in the Development and Operation of Parametric Insurance Oriented to Livestock. Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Alderman, H., Haque, T. (2007) Insurance against Covariate Shocks: The Role of Index-based Insurance in Social Protection in Low-Income Countries of Africa. Working Paper 95, Africa Region Human Development Department. Washington, DC: The World Bank, March 2007.Google Scholar
- Cárdenas, V.S. (2006) Developmental Challenges in Using Catastrophic Bonds for Disaster Risk Management: The Mexican Experience. Presented at the Sixth DPRI-IIASA Forum on Integrated Disaster Risk Management, Istanbul, Turkey, August 13–17, 2006.Google Scholar
- Carter, M.R., Boucher, S.R., Trivelli, C. (2007) Concept Note: Area-Based Yield Insurance Pilot Project for Peruvian Coastal Agriculture. BASIS Collaborative Research Support Program (CRSP), Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, December, 2007.Google Scholar
- Ethiopian Insurance Corporation: Retrieved September 11, 2008 from http://www.eic.com.et/.
- Ibarra, H., Syroka, J. (2006) Case Studies for Agricultural Weather Risk Management. In: Risk Management in Agriculture for Natural Hazards. Rome: ISMEA.Google Scholar
- Isom, W.R. (2007) Traditional Catstrophic Reinsurance and CAT Bonds. Presented at Expert Meetings of the Catastrophe Insurance and Weather Risk Management Markets for National Meteorological and Hydrological Services, WMO Headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland, December 5–7, 2007.Google Scholar
- Leftley, R., Mapfumo, S. (2006) Effective Micro-Insurance Programs to Reduce Vulnerability. Paper commissioned for the Global Microcredit Summit Campaign, Nova Scotia, Canada, November 12–16, 2006, http://www.opportunity.net/publications/pub.reduceVulnerability.asp.
- Mahul, O., Skees, J.R. (2005) Managing Agricultural Catastrophic Risk at the Country Level: The Case of Livestock Mortality Risk in Mongolia. Working Paper. The World Bank, April 2005.Google Scholar
- Micro Insurance Agency: Malawi Index Linked Crop Insurance Project. Retrieved September 11, 2008 from http://www.microinsurancecentre.org/UploadDocuments/Malawi%20Index%20linked%20crop%20insurance%20project1.pdf.
- Manuamorn, O.P. (2007) Scaling Up Microinsurance: The Case of Weather Insurance for Smallholders in India. Agriculture and Rural Development Discussion Paper 36. Washington, DC: The World Bank, 2007.Google Scholar
- Manuamorn, O.P. (2006) Review of Weather Index Insurance Project Developments in Thailand. Presentation at the seminar, Weather Index Insurance: Weather Risk Management for Agriculture in Thailand, organized by the World Bank Office Bangkok and the Commodity Risk Management Group (CRMG) of the World Bank, Bangkok, Thailand, October 13, 2006.Google Scholar
- O’Hearne, B. (2007) Case Study No. 3: Millennium Village Project. Presented at Expert Meetings of the Catastrophe Insurance and Weather Risk Management Markets for National Meteorological and Hydrological Services, WMO Headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland, December 5–7, 2007.Google Scholar
- Shewareged, B. (2008) Insurance Company to Sell New Policies. The Reporter (February 4, 2008). Retrieved September 11, 2008 from http://ov.ethiopianreporter.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2901.
- Skees, J.R., Leiva, A.J. (2005) Analysis of Risk Instruments in an Irrigation Sub-Sector in Mexico. Report prepared for the Inter-American Development Bank Technical Cooperation Program and IDB-Netherlands Water Partnership Program, June 30, 2005.Google Scholar
- Skees, J.R., Enkh-Amgalan, A. (2002) Examining the Feasibility of Livestock Insurance in Mongolia. Policy Research Working Paper 2886, Rural Development and Natural Resources Sector Unit East Asia and Pacific Region. Washington, DC: The World Bank, September 17, 2002.Google Scholar
- Skees, J.R., Hess, U., Ibarra, H. (2002) Crop Disaster Assistance in Ukraine: Issues, Alternatives, and Consequences. Rural Finance Project P076553. Washington, DC: The World Bank, December 2002.Google Scholar
- Skees, J.R., Gober, S., Varangis, P., Lester, R., Kalavokonda, V. (2001) Developing Rainfall-Based Index Insurance in Morocco. Policy Research Working Paper 2577. Washington, DC: The World Bank, April 2001.Google Scholar
- Skees, J.R., Goes, A., Sullivan, C., Carpenter, R., Miranda, M.J., Barnett, B.J. (2006) Index Insurance for Weather Risk in Low Income Countries. USAID Microenterprise Development (MD) Office, USAID/DAI Prime Contract LAG-I-00-98-0026-00 BASIS Task Order 8, Rural Finance Market Development.Google Scholar
- Stoppa, A., Hess, U. (2003) Design and Use of Weather Derivatives in Agricultural Policies: The Case of Rainfall Index Insurance in Morocco. Paper presented at the international conference: “Agricultural Policy Reform and the WTO: Where Are We Heading?” Capri, Italy, June 23–26, 2003.Google Scholar
- Swiss Re (2007) Swiss Re Launches Climate Adaptation Development Program Providing Financial Protection Against Weather Risk in Emerging Countries. Press release, September 27, 2007.Google Scholar
- Syroka, J. (2007) Weather Insurance for Small and Medium Farmers: Building a Weather Risk Market in Central America. WRMA Annual Meeting, Miami, FL, May 9–11, 2007.Google Scholar
- Syroka, J., Wilcox, R. (2006) Rethinking International Disaster Aid Finance. Journal of International Affairs 59:197–214.Google Scholar
- USAID (United States Agency for International Development) (2006) Hedging Weather Risk for Microfinance Institutions in Peru. Report prepared by GlobalAgRisk, Inc., under USAID/DAI Prime Contract LAG-I-00-98-0026-00 BASIS Task Order 8, Rural Finance Market Development, November 2006.Google Scholar
- Wenner, M. (2007) New Developments in Agricultural Insurance: A Latin American and Caribbean Perspective. Presented at Third Annual Microinsurance International Conference, Mumbai, India, November 13–15, 2007.Google Scholar
- AIR (AIR Worldwide Corporation) (2008) Climatalogical Influences on Hurricane Activity: The Air Warm SST Conditioned Catalog. Boston, MA: AIR Worldwide Corporation.Google Scholar
- Anderson, J.R. (2002) Risk Management in Rural Development: A Review. Agriculture and Rural Development (ARD). Strategy Background Paper 7. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Bindoff, N.L., Willebrand, J., Artale, V.A.C., Gregory, J., Gulev., S., Hanawa, K., Quéré, C.L., Levitus, S., Nojiri, Y., Shum, C.K., Talley, L.D., Unnikrishnan, A. (2007) Observations: Oceanic Climate Change and Sea Level. In: Solomon, S., Qin, D., Manning, M., Chen, Z., Marquis, M., Averyt, K.B., Tignor, M., Miller, H.L. (Eds.) Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, Working Group I Contribution to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Bozmoski, A., Lemos, M.C., Boyd, E. (2008) Prosperous Negligence: Governing the Clean Development Mechanism for Markets and Development. Environment 50:18–30.Google Scholar
- Capoor, K., Ambrosi, P. (2008) State and Trends of the Carbon Market 2008. Report funded by the CF-Assist Program. Washington, DC: The World Bank Institute.Google Scholar
- Carpenter, R., Skees, J.R. (2005) Index-based Insurance Products: Regulatory and Legal Issues. Unpublished Report. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Carter, T.R., Jones, R.N., Lu, X., Bhadwal, S., Conde, C., Mearns, L.O., O’Neill, B.C., Rounsevell, M.D.A., Zurek, M.B. (2007) New Assessment Methods and the Characterisation of Future Conditions. In: Parry, M.L., Canziani, O.F., Palutikof, J.P., van der Linden, P.J., Hanson, C.E. (Eds.) Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability, Working Group II Contribution to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- CCX (Chicago Climate Exchange) (2007) The Andhyodaya Joins Chicago Climate Exchange as an Offset Aggregator First Indian Offset Credits Approved for Trading in the Exchange. Press release. Chicago, IL: Chicago Climate Exchange.Google Scholar
- CDM (Clean Development Mechanism) Executive Board. (2005) Biogas Support Program — Nepal (BSP-Nepal) Activity 1. Clean Development Mechanism Simplified Project Design Document for Small-Scale Project Activities, Version 02. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. Retrieved November 14, 2008 from http://cdm.unfccc.int/UserManagement/FileStorage/A4NYD8EXQY928HD61LHWHEIM82MBIN.
- Chapple, A. (2008) Making the Voluntary Carbon Market Work for the Poor: Current and Future Roles. Forum for the Future: Action for a Sustainable World. Report commissioned by the Department for International Development. London: Forum for the Future.Google Scholar
- Chhabara, R. (2008) Gameen’s World Bank Deal Brings Solar Power to Bangladesh. Climate Change Corp.com/Markets Report, April 23. Retrieved November 14, 2008 from http://www.climatechangecorp.com/content_print.asp?ContentID=5283.
- CFU (The World Bank Carbon Finance Unit) (2008) Peoples Republic of Bangladesh: Instillation of Solar Home Systems in Bangladesh. Project Description. Retrieved November 14, 2008 from http://wbcarbonfinance.org/Router.cfm?Page=Projport&ProjID=37262.
- CFU (The World Bank Carbon Finance Unit) (2006) Mali: Acacia Senegal Plantation Project (BioCarbon Fund). Project Description. Retrieved August 7, 2008 from http://carbonfinance.org/Router.cfm?Page=Projport&ProjID=24878.
- CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) (2008) The World Factbook: Nepal. Retrieved November 18, 2008 from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-worldfactbook/geos/np.html.
- Corbera, E., Conway, D., Goulden, M., Vincent, K. (2006) Climate Change in Africa: Linking Science and Policy for Adaptation. Royal Society Workshop Report G00022. Norwich and London: The Tyndall Centre and International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED).Google Scholar
- Fankhauser, S., Argawala, S., Hanharan, D., Pope, G., Skees, J.R., Stephens, C., Yasmine, S. (2008) Economic Policy Instruments to Promote Adaptation. In: Argawala, S., Fankhauser, S. (Eds.) Economic Aspects of Adaptation to Climate Change: Costs Benefits and Policy Instruments. Paris: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.Google Scholar
- GEF (Global Environment Facility) (2008) The GEF Small Grants Programme. Retrieved November 6, 2008 from http://sgp.undp.org/index.cfm.
- Grameen Shakti (2007) Grameen Shakti Homepage. Retrieved November 14, 2008 from http://www.gshakti.org/index.html.
- Hess, U., Syroka, J. (2005) Weather-Based Insurance in Southern Africa: The Case of Malawi. Agriculture and Rural Development (ARD) Department Discussion Paper 13. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- IIED (International Institute for Environment Development) (2008) Scaling up Low Carbon Energy for the Poor: Learning from the Ashden Awards for Sustainable Energy. Summary of a review of Ashden Award-winners, commissioned by the Department for International Development (DFID) and carried out by the International Institute for Environment and Development. Retrieved November 18, 2008 from http://www.ashdenawards.org/files/reports/DFID_summary.pdf.
- IPCC (International Panel for Climate Change) (2007a) Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fourth Assessment Report. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC Secretariat.Google Scholar
- IPCC (International Panel for Climate Change) (2007b) Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability, Appendix I: Glossary. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Working Group II Report. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC Secretariat.Google Scholar
- Khalil, A.F., Kwon, H.H., Lall, U., Miranda, M.J., Skees, J.R. (2007) El Niño–Southern Oscillation-Based Index Insurance for Floods: Statistical Risk Analyses and Application to Peru. Water Resources Research 43(10), Manuscript #2006WR005281.Google Scholar
- Kundzewicz, Z.W., Mata, L.J., Arnell, N.W., Döll, P., Kabat, P., Jiménez, B., Miller, K.A., Oki, T., Sen, Z., Shiklomanov, I.A. (2007) Freshwater Resources and Their Management. In: Parry, M.L., Canziani, O.F., Palutikof, J.P., van der Linden, P.J., Hanson, C.E. (Eds.) Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Lecocq, F., Shalizi, Z. (2007) Balancing Expenditures in Mitigation and Adaptation to Climate Change: An Exploration of Issues Relevant to Developing Countries. Policy Research Working Paper 4299. Washington, DC: Sustainable Rural and Urban Development Team, The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Mahul, O., Skees, J.R. (2007) Managing Agricultural Risk at the Country Level: The Case of Index-Based Livestock Insurance in Mongolia. Policy Research Working Paper WPS4325. Washington, DC: The World Bank. The Roles of Weather Insurance and the Carbon Market 163Google Scholar
- Manuamorn, O.P. (2007) Scaling up Microinsurance: The Case of Weather Insurance for Smallholders in India. Agriculture and Rural Development Discussion Paper 36. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- McPhaden, M.J. (2003) El Niño and La Niña: Causes and Global Consequences. In: MacCracken, M.M., Perry, J.S. (Eds.) and Munn, T. (Editor-in-Chief) Encyclopedia of Global Environmental Change, Volume 1: The Earth System: Physical and Chemical Dimensions of Global Environmental Change. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Müller, B. (2008) International Adaptation Finance: The Need for an Innovative and Strategic Approach. Working Paper EV42. Oxford: Oxford Institute for Energy Studies.Google Scholar
- Nicholls, R.J., Wong, P.P., Burkett, V.R., Codignotto, J.O., Hay, J.E., McLean, R.E., Ragoonaden, S., Woodroffe, C.D. (2007) Coastal Systems and Lowlying Areas. In: Parry, M.L., Canziani, O.F., Palutikof, J.P., van der Linden, P.J., Hanson, C.E. (Eds.) Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Osgood, D.E., McLaurin, M., Carriquiry, M., Mishra, A., Fiondella, F., Hansen, J., Peterson, N., Ward, N. (2007) Designing Weather Insurance Contracts for Farmers in Malawi, Tanzania, and Kenya. Final Report to the Commodity Risk Management Group (CRMG). Washington, DC: The World Bank, and the International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI), Columbia University.Google Scholar
- Perkins, R. (2008) Incentivizing Climate Mitigation: Engaging Developing Countries. Harvard International Review, Summer, 42–47.Google Scholar
- Roll, R. (1984) Orange Juice and Weather. American Economic Review 74:861–880.Google Scholar
- Russ, R. (2004) Weather Derivatives: Global Hedging Against the Weather. Derivatives Use, Trading and Regulation 9:293–301.Google Scholar
- Skees, J.R. (2001) The Bad Harvest: More Crop Insurance Reform: A Good Idea Gone Awry. Regulation: The CATO Review of Business and Government 24:16–21.Google Scholar
- Skees, J.R., Collier, B. (2008) The Potential of Weather Index Insurance for Spurring a Green Revolution in Africa. Presentation to the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa Policy Makers’ and Private Sector Convening, Nairobi, Kenya, June 23–25.Google Scholar
- Skees, J.R., Barnett, B.J., Collier, B. (2008) Agricultural Insurance: Background and Context for Climate Adaptation Discussions. Presentation to the OECD, Paris, France, April 7–8.Google Scholar
- Skees, J.R., Murphy, A.G., Collier, B., Roth, J. (2007) Scaling Up Index Insurance: What Is Needed for the Next Big Leap Forward? Weather insurance review prepared by the MicroInsurance Centre and GlobalAgRisk for Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW).Google Scholar
- Stern, N. (2006) Stern Review Report on the Economics of Climate Change. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Swiss Re (Swiss Reinsurance Company) (2006) Securitization – New Opportunities for Insurers and Investors. Sigma 7.Google Scholar
- UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention for Climate Change) (2007) Uniting on Climate: A Guide to the Climate Change Convention and the Kyoto Protocol. Bonn, Germany: Climate Change Secretariat (UNFCCC).Google Scholar
- WRMA (Weather Risk Management Association) (2008) Weather Market Shows Robust 35% Increase in Trades for 2007–2008: Market Reach Is Expanded into India, Latin America, Southeast Asia. Press Release.Google Scholar
Open Access. This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.