Incomplete Factorizations with S/P and Modified S/P Consistently Ordered M-Factors
We report here on the first results obtained in the development of a new approximate factorization technique based on the properties of “S/P consistently ordered” M-matrices. An ordered undirected graph is called S/P consistently ordered if whenever a pair of nodes i < j has a common neighbour k with k < i, then either it has also a common neighbour ℓ with j < ℓ or neither i has any neighbour ℓ with ℓ > i nor j any neighbour ℓ with ℓ > j. Incomplete factorizations with (M-matrix) triangular factors whose graphs are S/P consistently ordered have attractive properties which have been analysed. The conclusion of our analysis is that in such cases, the submatrix determined by the nodes without successors should be factored exactly.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- , On iterative solution of elliptic difference equations on a mesh connected array of processors ,J. High Speed Comput., 1 (1989), pp. 165–184.Google Scholar
- O. Axelsson an. V. Barker, Finite Element Solution of Boundary Value Problems. Theory and Computation ,Academic Press, New York, 1984.Google Scholar
- R. Beauwens, Approximate factorizations with modified S/P consistently ordered M-factors ,Numer. Lin. Alg. with Appl., submitted.Google Scholar
- , Consistent ordering analysis ,Scientific Report, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, 1986.Google Scholar
- , Approximate factorizations with S/P consistently ordered M-factors ,BIT, 29 (1989), pp. 658–681.Google Scholar
- R. Beauwens, Y. Notay, an. B. Tombuyses, S/P images of upper triangular M-matrices ,Numer. Lin. Alg. with Appl., submitted.Google Scholar
- R. Beauwens an. B. Tombuyses, Graph perturbations ,in progress.Google Scholar
- V. Eijkhout, Beware of unperturbed modified incomplete factorizations , in Iterative Methods in Linear Algebra, R. Beauwens and P. de Groen, eds., North-Holland, 1992.Google Scholar
- , Modified Incomplete Cholesky (MIC) methods , in Preconditioning Methods. Theory and Applications, D. Evans, ed., Gordon and Breach, New York-London-Paris, 1983, pp. 265–293.Google Scholar
- Y. Notay, Conditioning of Stieltjes matrices by S/P consistently ordered approximate factorizations ,Appl. Numer. Math., to appear.Google Scholar
- , Solving positive (semi)definite linear systems by preconditioned iterative methods , in Preconditioned Conjugate Gradient Methods, O. Axelsson and L. Kolotilina, eds., Lectures Notes in Mathematics No. 1457, Springer-Verlag, 1990, pp. 105–125.Google Scholar
- , Upper eigenvalue bounds and related modified incomplete factorization strategies , in Iterative Methods in Linear Algebra, R. Beauwens and P. de Groen, eds., North-Holland, 1992, pp. 551–562.Google Scholar