Research and Evidence-Based Practice: The Nurse’s Role
This chapter introduces evidence-based practice and research, explaining the nurse’s role in accessing and appraising evidence for endocrinology nursing practice. The contribution of different types of research studies to the evidence base is discussed. The chapter considers how best evidence can be implemented in practice, with reference to quality improvement methods. Nurses are in a good position to identify gaps in the available evidence and identify new research questions. Clinical academic roles provide the opportunity for nurses to take forward their research ideas and combine clinical nursing with research. Clinical research is essential for finding new treatments and improving patient care and so clinical research nurses make a vital contribution, focusing on the care of research participants within clinical research studies. All research must be conducted in accordance with international standards for research ethics and local processes for ethical scrutiny. This chapter’s sections on evidence-based practice, clinical academic roles and clinical research nursing all include application to endocrinology nursing.
KeywordsResearch Evidence-based practice Nursing Clinical research nurse Endocrinology Quality improvement Clinical academic role
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. PBRN networks. https://pbrn.ahrq.gov/about. Accessed 20 June 2018.
- Association of UK University Hospitals UKUH. National clinical academic roles development group for nurses, midwives and allied health professionals. 2018. http://www.aukuh.org.uk/index.php/affiliate-groups/nmahps. Accessed 18 Mar 2018.
- Attridge M, Creamer J, Ramsden M, Cannings-John R, Hawthorne K. Culturally appropriate health education for people in ethnic minority groups with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;(9). Art. No.: CD006424. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006424.pub3.
- Barker J. Evidence-based practice for nurses. 2nd ed. London: Sage; 2013.Google Scholar
- Beauchamp TL, Childress F. Principles of biomedical ethics. 7th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2013.Google Scholar
- Beck-Peccoz P, Höybye C, Murray RD, Simsek S, Leal-Cerro A, Zabransky M, Gunter Stalla G. The PATRO adult study of Omnitrope[reg] for the treatment of adult patients with GH deficiency: latest results. In: Endocrine abstracts, 17th European Congress of Endocrinology. 2015. https://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0037/ea0037EP665. Accessed 27 May 2018.
- Care Quality Commission. The state of care in NHS acute hospitals: 2014 to 2016 findings from the end of CQC’s programme of NHS acute comprehensive inspections. 2016. http://www.cqc.org.uk/sites/default/files/20170302b_stateofhospitals_web.pdf. Accessed 12 Jan 2018.
- Carrick-Sen D, Richardson A, Moore A, Dolan S. Transforming healthcare through clinical academic roles in nursing, midwifery and allied health professions: a practical resource for healthcare provider organisations. London: AUKUH. 2016. https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2325/aukuh-transforming-healthcare.pdf. Accessed 12 Jan 2018.
- Christian BJ. Translational research—the stress and uncertainty of hospitalization and strategies for paediatric nurses to improve the quality of care for children and families. J Pediatr Nurs. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/jpedn2018.05.012.
- CRN 2010 Domain of Practice Committee. Building the foundation for clinical research nursing: domain of practice for the specialty of clinical research nursing. 2009. National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, Nursing and Patient Care Services. 2009. https://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/nursing/about/whatwedo.html. Accessed 23 May 2018.
- Department of Health (England), the Department of Health (Northern Ireland), the Scottish Government Health and Social Care Directorates and the Department for Health and Social Services (Wales). UK policy framework for health and social care research. 2017. http://www.research.hscni.net/sites/default/files/uk-policy-framework-health-social-care-research_0.pdf. Accessed 18 March 2018.
- Follin C, Thilén U, Österberg K, BjÖrk J, Erfurth EM. Cardiovascular risk, cardiac function, physical activity, and quality of life with and without long-term growth hormone therapy in adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 2010;95(8):3726–35.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gelling L. Competency framework for clinical research nurses. 2011. https://cambridge.crf.nihr.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Research_Nurse_Competency_Framework_-_Version_2_-_Full_-_Oct_20111.pdf. Accessed 24 May 2018.
- Halse J, Greenspan S, Cosman F, Ellis G, Santora A, Leung A, Heyden N, Samanta S, Doleckyj S, Rosenberg E, Denker AE. A phase 2, randomised, placebo-controlled, dose ranging study of the calcium-sensing receptor antagonist MK-5442 in the treatment of postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014;99(11):E2207–15.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Health Research Authority. Defining research. 2017. http://www.hra.nhs.uk/documents/2016/06/defining-research.pdf. Accessed 18 Mar 2018.
- Langley G, Moen R, Nolan K, Nolan T, Norman C, Provost L. The improvement guide: a practical approach to enhancing organizational performance. San Francisco: Wiley; 2009.Google Scholar
- Oxford Living Dictionaries. Evidence. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2017. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/evidence. Accessed 18 Mar 2018.
- Sackett DL, Straus SE, Richardson WS, Rosenburg W, Haynes RB. Evidence-based medicine: how to practise and teach EBM. London: Churchill Livingstone; 2000.Google Scholar
- UK Clinical Research Collaboration and Modernising Medical Careers. Medically- and dentally-qualified academic staff: recommendations for training the researchers and educators of the future. 2005. http://www.ukcrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Medically_and_Dentally-qualified_Academic_Staff_Report.pdf. Accessed 12 Jan 2018.
- World Health Organisation. Ethical issues in patient safety research: interpreting existing guidance. Geneva: WHO; 2013.Google Scholar
- World Medical Association. Declaration of Helsinki. 1964. https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-helsinki-ethical-principles-for-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/. Accessed 18 Mar 2018.
- 1.Aveyard H. Doing a literature review in health and social care: a practical guide. Maidenhead: Open University; 2014.Google Scholar
- 2.Baillie L, Maxwell E, editors. Improving healthcare: a handbook for practitioners. Abingdon: Routledge; 2017.Google Scholar
- 4.Schmidt NA, Brown JM. Evidence-based practice for nurses: appraisal and application of research. 3rd ed. Burlington: Jones and Bartlett Learning; 2015.Google Scholar