Causal Discovery with Bayesian Networks Inductive Transfer
Bayesian networks (BNs) is a dominate model for representing causal knowledge with uncertainty. Causal discovery with BNs requiring large amount of training data for learning BNs structure. When confronted with small sample scenario the learning task is a big challenge. Transfer learning motivated by the fact that people can intelligently apply knowledge learned previously to solve new problems faster or with better solutions, the paper defines a transferable conditional independence test formula which exploit the knowledge accumulated from data in auxiliary domains to facilitate learning task in the target domain, a BNs inductive transfer algorithm were proposed, which learning the Markov equivalence class of BNs. Empirical experiment was deployed, the results demonstrate the effectiveness of the inductive transfer.
KeywordsBayesian network Inductive transfer Causal discovery Structure learning
This paper is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant Nos. 61502198, 61472161, 61402195, 61103091 and the Science and Technology Development Plan of Jilin Province under Grant No. 20160520099JH, 20150101051JC.
- 1.Heckerman, D.: A Bayesian approach to learning causal networks. In: Proceedings of the Eleventh Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc. (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Pearl, J.: Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems: Networks of Plausible Inference, pp. 117–133. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (1988)Google Scholar
- 19.Jia, H., et al.: A Hybrid method for orienting edges of Bayesian network. Acta Electronica Sinica 37(8), 1842–1847 (2009)Google Scholar
- 20.Verma, T., Pearl, J.: An algorithm for deciding if a set of observed independencies has a causal explanation. In: Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence Proceedings of the Eighth Conference. Morgan Kaufman, San Francisco (1992)Google Scholar
- 21.Thomas, V., Judea, P.: Equivalence and synthesis of causal models. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence. Elsevier Science Inc. (1991)Google Scholar
- 23.Oyen, D., Lane, T.: Leveraging domain knowledge in multitask Bayesian network structure learning. In: Twenty-Sixth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (2012)Google Scholar
- 24.Alexandru, N.M., Caruana, R.: Inductive transfer for Bayesian network structure learning. In: 11th AISTATS (2007)Google Scholar