A Semantic Path-Based Similarity Measure for Weighted Heterogeneous Information Networks
In recent years, recommender systems based on heterogeneous information networks (HIN) have gained wide attention. In order to generate more attractive recommendations, weighted heterogeneous information network (WHIN) has been proposed, which attaches attribute values to links. The widely-used similarity measures for HIN may fail to capture the semantics of weighted meta-path. This makes designing a similarity measure specially for WHIN more necessary. In this paper, we propose a semantic path-based similarity measure called WgtSim, which is a generalization of PathSim presented by Sun et al. Furthermore, to demonstrate the capability of WgtSim in capturing semantics, we apply WgtSim to recommender system on WHIN to predict ratings given by users. The experiments on two real datasets show that the recommender system with WgtSim outperforms that with previous measures.
KeywordsHeterogeneous information network Similarity measure Recommender system
This work was partly supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 61572002, No. 61170300, No. 61690201, and No. 61732001.
- 1.Bu, S., Hong, X., Peng, Z., Li, Q.: Integrating meta-path selection with user-preference for top-k relevant search in heterogeneous information networks. In: Proceedings of the 18th IEEE International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design, pp. 301–306 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Lao, N., Cohen, W.W.: Fast query execution for retrieval models based on path-constrained random walks. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 881–888. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Salakhutdinov, R., Mnih, A.: Probabilistic matrix factorization. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 1257–1264. Curran Associates Inc. (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Shi, C., Kong, X., Yu, P.S., Xie, S., Wu, B.: Relevance search in heterogeneous networks. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Extending Database Technology, EDBT 2012, pp. 180–191. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Shi, C., Zhang, Z., Luo, P., Yu, P.S., Yue, Y., Wu, B.: Semantic path based personalized recommendation on weighted heterogeneous information networks. In: Proceedings of the 24th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, pp. 453–462. ACM (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Shi, C., Zhou, C., Kong, X., Yu, P.S., Liu, G., Wang, B.: HeteRecom: a semantic-based recommendation system in heterogeneous networks. In: Proceedings of the 18th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 1552–1555. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Sun, Y., Han, J., Yan, X., Yu, P.S., Wu, T.: Pathsim: meta path-based top-k similarity search in heterogeneous information networks. Proc. VLDB Endow. 4, 992–1003 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Yu, X., et al.: Recommendation in heterogeneous information networks with implicit user feedback. In: Proceedings of the 7th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, pp. 347–350. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhao, H., Yao, Q., Li, J., Song, Y., Lee, D.L.: Meta-graph based recommendation fusion over heterogeneous information networks. In: Proceedings of the 23rd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, KDD 2017, pp. 635–644. ACM (2017)Google Scholar