There is an enormous disparity in access to care and medicines that alleviate pain from disease and terminal conditions. Those suffering live predominantly in low to middle income countries. We have identified several of the main causes that explain this disparity, as well as steps necessary to correct the lack of access to what should be considered an essential human right.
KeywordsPain medicine Palliative care Disparity Access
- 1.United Nations: Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs. UN 1961. http://www.incb.org/incb/convention_1961.html.
- 2.Global state of pain treatment, Access to palliative care as a human right. Human Rights Watch. https://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/hhr0511W.pdf (May 2011).
- 3.Knaull FM, et al. Alleviating the access abyss in palliative care and pain relief – an imperative of universal health coverage: the Lancet Commission report. The Lancet. October 12, 2017.Google Scholar
- 4.Global access to pain relief: Evidence for action. European Society of medical oncology. https://www.esmo.org/content/download/14123/252826/file/Global-Access-to-Pain-Relief-Evidence-for-Action.pdf.
- 5.WHO model list of essential medicines. 18th List. http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/essentialmedicines/18th_EML_Final_web_8Jul13.pdf (2013).