A Virtual Proof
In this chapter I would like to interrupt the historic line in order to put into evidence what I just said, namely that the proof of RHp could have been found already in 1937, in the framework of the theory of function fields. I will present here such a proof. In principle it can be regarded as a translation of Severi’s proof from the language of algebraic geometry into the language of algebra. But I will not use any knowledge of the terminology and results of algebraic geometry. I shall use those notions and facts from the theory of function fields which were available to and preferred by Hasse at the time of the Göttingen workshop which I have discussed above.
- [Has02]H. Hasse, Number Theory. Transl. from the 3rd German edn. edited and with a preface by Horst Günter Zimmer. Reprint of the 1980 edn. (Springer, Berlin, 2002), 638 pp.Google Scholar
- [Has68]H. Hasse, The Riemann Hypothesis in Algebraic Function Fields over a Finite Constants Field. Lecture Notes (Pennsylvania State University, State College, Spring 1968)Google Scholar
- [Hil97]D. Hilbert, Die Theorie der algebraischen Zahlkörper. Jahresber. Dtsch. Math. Ver., 4:I–XVIII u. 175–546, 1897. Englische Übersetzung: The Theory of Algebraic Number Fields (Springer, Heidelberg, 1998)Google Scholar
- [Sch31a]F.K. Schmidt, Analytische Zahlentheorie in Körpern der Charakteristik p. Math. Z. 33, 1–32 (1931)Google Scholar
- [Wei46]A. Weil, Foundations of Algebraic Geometry. Colloquium Publications, vol. XXIX (American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1946)Google Scholar
- [Wei48a]A. Weil, Sur les courbes algébriques et les variétés qui s’en deduisent. Actualités scientifiques et industrielles, vol. 1048 (Hermann & Cie, Paris, 1948), 85 pp.Google Scholar