Blockchain, Digital Identity, E-government
This chapter examines the legal and technical implications of the application of blockchain technology to authenticate and verify identity for e-Government services and transactions.
KeywordsBlockchain technology Digital identity E-government Know Your Customer Right to identity
The Army Research Office provided funding for this paper through the Minerva Initiative agreement # W911NF-15-1-0595.
- Allison, I. (2016, September 29). Decentralised Government Project Bitnation Offers Refugees Blockchain IDs and Bitcoin Debit Cards. Retrieved April 8, 2018, from International Business Times. https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/decentralised-government-project-bitnation-offers-refugees-blockchain-ids-bitcoin-debit-cards-1526547
- Allison, I. (2018, February 8). Bitnation and Estonian Government Start Spreading Sovereign Jurisdiction on the Blockchain. Retrieved April 8, 2018, from International Business Times. https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bitnation-estonian-government-start-spreading-sovereign-jurisdiction-blockchain-1530923
- Avery, L. (2004). Return to Life: The Right to Identity and the Right to Identify Argentina’s “Living Disappeared”. Harvard Wonem’s Law Journal, 27, 235.Google Scholar
- Detrick, S., Doek, J. E., & Cantwell, N. (1992). The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. A Guide to the “Travaux Préparatoires”. Dordrecht: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers.Google Scholar
- Hardt, D. (2012). The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework. Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC 6749.Google Scholar
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. (2017, August 31). State of Illinois Partners with Evernym to Launch Birth Registration Pilot. Retrieved April 8, 2018, from https://www2.illinois.gov/IISNews/14759-DCEO_Birth_Registration_Pilot_Release.pdf
- Price, R. (2016, June 17). Digital Currency Ethereum Is Cratering Because of a $50 Million Hack. Retrieved 8 2018, April, from Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/dao-hacked-ethereum-crashing-in-value-tens-of-millions-allegedly-stolen-2016-6
- Sullivan, C. (2010). Digital Identity: An Emergent Legal Concept. Adelaide: University of Adelaide Press.Google Scholar
- Tempelhof, S., Teissonniere, E., Tempelhof, J., & Edwards, D. (2017, April). Retrieved April 8, 2018, from Bitnation Pangea | Your Blockchain Jourisdiction. https://github.com/Bit-Nation/Pangea-Docs/raw/master/BITNATION%20Pangea%20Whitepaper%202018.pdf
- United Nations. (2015). Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Retrieved April 8, 2018, from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld