Conclusion: Loose Threads
The conclusion considers the lingering impact of imperialism and indenture upon gender roles and ethnic relations in the contemporary Caribbean, as well as the forms of indenture that exist around the globe today. The conclusion also emphasizes the role that narratives of indenture play in helping us recognize and prevent such abuses. Finally, this chapter suggests possible areas for further exploration in the study of indenture literature.
- Beeharry, Deepchand. 1976. That Others Might Live. New Delhi: Orient Paperbacks.Google Scholar
- Bowe, John. 2010. Bound for America. Mother Jones, May/June. https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2010/04/immigration-law-indentured-servitude/.
- EEOC v Global Horizons, Inc., 11-00257 LEK. (The United States District Court for the District of Hawaii 2014).Google Scholar
- Ghosh, Amitav. 2008. Sea of Poppies. New York: Picador.Google Scholar
- Gorney, Cynthia. 2014. Far From Home. National Geographic. January. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2014/01/.
- Human Rights Watch. 2017. Qatar: Take Urgent Action to Protect Construction Workers, September 27. https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/09/27/qatar-take-urgent-action-protect-construction-workers.
- ———. 2018. Qatar: Events of 2017. https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/Qatar.
- Kaminer, Ariel and Sean O’Driscoll. 2014. Workers at N.Y.U.’s Abu Dhabi Site Faced Harsh Conditions. The New York Times, May 18. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/nyregion/workers-at-nyus-abu-dhabi-site-face-harsh-conditions.html.
- Kara, Siddharth. 2009. Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Lal, Chaman. 2011. Celebrate ‘Indian Arrival’ or ‘Indian Deliverance’? The Guardian, October 25. http://www3.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/10/24/celebrate-indian-arrival-or-indian-deliverance.
- Mangru, Basdeo. 2005. The Elusive El Dorado: Essays on the Indian Experience in Guyana. Lanham: University of America.Google Scholar
- Moraley, William. 2005. The Infortunate: The Voyage and Adventures of William Moraley, an Indentured Servant. University Park: The Pennsylvania State University Press.Google Scholar
- Moutoussamy, Laure. 2007. Le ‘Kooli’ de morne Cabri. Matoury: Ibis Rouge.Google Scholar
- Sanadhya, Totaram. 1991. My Twenty-One Years in the Fiji Islands; And, The Story of the Haunted Line. Edited by John Dunham Kelly and Uttra Kumari Singh. Suva, Fiji: Fiji Museum.Google Scholar
- Smoltczyk, Alexander. 2012. 2022 World Cup in Qatar: The Desert Dreams of German Architect Albert Speer. Spiegel Online, June 1. http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/german-architect-albert-speer-plans-for-the-2022-world-cup-in-qatar-a-836154.html.