Fundamental Obstetric Procedures
A variety of healthcare disciplines intersect during the care of a pregnant woman, especially during delivery. Simulation has been effectively utilized to train a wide range of health professionals on fundamental obstetric skills including cervical exams, assessment of fetal position, spontaneous vaginal delivery, and perineal laceration repair. Educators have used simulation equipment ranging from part-task trainers and full-body mannequins to organic materials such as different fruits or beef tongue, to train individuals or teams on core pregnancy-related procedures.
KeywordsObstetrics Simulation Birth Labor Perineal laceration
- 5.Medical Simulation in Medical Education: Results of an AAMC Survey. 2011. https://www.aamc.org/download/259760/data/medicalsimulationinmedicaleducationanaamcsurvey.pdf. Accessed 5 Apr 2017.
- 6.Pinar G, Knight CC, Gaioso VP, et al. International Archives of Nursing and Health Care. The effects of high fidelity simulation on nursing students’ perceptions and self-efficacy of obstetric skills. Int Libr Cit Int Arch Nurs Heal Care Pinar al Int Arch Nurs Heal Care. 2015;1(12). https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gul_Pinar2/publication/303951328_International_Archives_of_Nursing_and_Health_Care_The_Effects_of_High_Fidelity_Simulation_on_Nursing_Students’_Perceptions_and_Self-Efficacy_of_Obstetric_Skills/links/5760023b08ae97c1231434de.pdf. Accessed 5 Apr 2017.
- 9.Cunningham FG. Williams obstetrics. New York: McGraw-Hill Education; 2008.Google Scholar
- 18.Reese TR, Deering SH, Kavanagh LB, Maurer DM. Perceived clinical skill degradation of Army family physicians after deployment. Fam Med. 2015;47(5):343–348. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25905875. Accessed 5 Apr 2017.
- 19.Cooper M, Papanagnou D, Meguerdichian M, Bajaj K. Emergency obstetrics for the emergency medicine provider. MedEdPORTAL Publ. 2016;12. https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10481.
- 24.Ion STEDIT, Downing D, Hargreaves O, et al. Healthcare simulation. 2016;(June):1–50. www.ssih.org/dictionary.
- 25.Blondel B, Alexander S, Bjarnadóttir RI, et al. Variations in rates of severe perineal tears and episiotomies in 20 European countries: a study based on routine national data in Euro-Peristat Project. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2016;95(7):746–54. https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.12894.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Hirayama F, Koyanagi A, Mori R, Zhang J, Souza JP, Gülmezoglu AM. Prevalence and risk factors for third- and fourth-degree perineal lacerations during vaginal delivery: a multi-country study. BJOG Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012;119(3):340–7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03210.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ampt AJ, Ford JB. Ascertaining severe perineal trauma and associated risk factors by comparing birth data with multiple sources. Public Health Res Pract. 2015;2525(44). https://doi.org/10.17061/phrp2541544.