The Origin and Development of Globalisation in the World
This chapter utilised the modified historical perspective to trace the origin of globalisation. The conceptual definition of globalisation utilised in the entire book was stated. A mini empirical study using secondary data established that globalisation had some positive effects in Africa, but not as expected considering the growth potential in the continent. The chapter concluded that Africa was unable to grow economically as expected because of poor leadership which could not provide the link between globalisation and development.
KeywordOrigin of globalisation
- Aalto-yliopisto, A. 2011. Investigating the relationship of inward foreign direct investment and poverty in developing countries. Master’s dissertation submitted to AALTO University School of economics.Google Scholar
- African Economic Outlook. 2015. www.afdb.org. Accessed 15 Jan 2018.
- Albrow, M., and E. King. 1990. Globalization, knowledge and society. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Andre, G.F. 1998. Reorient: Global economy in Asian age. Berkeley: U.C. Berkeley Press.Google Scholar
- Friedman, Thomas L. 2005. It is a flat world, after all. NY Times Magazine, April 3.Google Scholar
- Giddens, A. 1991. The consequences of modernity. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- International Monetary Fund World Economic Outlook Database. 2016. www.imf.org/external/pubs/2016. Accessed 22 Dec 2017.
- Karim, A., N. Al-Huda, and K. Ahmad. 2009. Foreign direct investment: Key to poverty reduction in Malaysia. The IUP Journal of Applied Economics 8 (5, 6): 55–64.Google Scholar
- Kim, H. 2013. Regionalism, globalization, and economic development of the world. Journal of Globalization Studies 4 (2): 21–31.Google Scholar
- Sunny Levin Institute. 2017. https://www.globalization101.org/whatisglobalization/. Accessed 22 Dec 2017.
- The world factbook. 2016. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-gfactbook/rankorder/2089rank.html. Accessed 16 June 2018.
- UNCTAD World Investment Report. 2016. https://www.unctad.org/en/pages. Accessed 2 Jan 2018.
- UNDP African human development report. 2016. https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librarypage/hdr/2016-african-human-development-report.html. Accessed 16 June 2018.