Exploring the Relationship Between STEM Research and World Higher Education Rankings: The Case of Taiwan
World university rankings have impacted different aspects of higher education institutions. Governmental focus on STEM and its impact on higher education are also significant. This study chose Taiwan as a case through which to explore the relationship between STEM research and world higher education rankings in the context of Taiwan’s long trend of investing in education and technological development as a way of enhancing national competitiveness. For this paper, I collected data from the statistical databases of the main governmental websites of Taiwan, and the SCImago Journal and Country Rank website. This research indicated that world higher education rankings highlight the importance of publications and citations, and in the case of Taiwan they correlate to the publication trends over the last decade in the research fields of STEM, humanities and arts, and social sciences.
KeywordsSTEM World-class university World higher education ranking Taiwan
- Academic Ranking of World Universities. 2017. “ARWU 2016 Methodology.” Accessed April 25, 2017. http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU-Methodology-2016.html.
- Chin, Joseph Meng-Chun, and Gregory S. Ching. 2009. “Trends and Indicators of Taiwan’s Higher Education Internationalization.” The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher 18 (2): 185–203.Google Scholar
- Chou, Chuing Prudence, ed. 2014. The SSCI Syndrome in Higher Education: A Local or Global Phenomenon. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.Google Scholar
- Lin, Yung-Feng, and Sheng-Ju Chan. 2004. “On the Differentiation Framework of the Post-Compulsory Education in Taiwan: A Perspective Based on the Reflection on the Two-Educational Highway Policy.” Educational Research & Information 12 (6): 59–84.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Education in Taiwan 臺灣教育部. 2017a. “dà zhuān xiào yuàn xiào shù tǒng jì 大專校院校數統計” [Number of Total Higher Education Institutions]. Accessed July 20, 2017. http://stats.moe.gov.tw/files/important/OVERVIEW_U03.pdf.
- Ministry of Education in Taiwan 臺灣教育部. 2017b. “dà xué shēng jiù dú lèi kē zhī bǐ lǜ 大學生就讀類科之比率” [Percentages of Major Disciplines of Undergraduate Students in Taiwan]. Accessed July 20, 2017. http://stats.moe.gov.tw/files/important/OVERVIEW_U04.pdf.
- Ministry of Education in Taiwan 臺灣教育部. 2017c. “shuò shì shēng jiù dú lèi kē zhī bǐ lǜ 碩士生就讀類科之比率” [Percentages of Major Disciplines of Master-Level Students in Taiwan]. Accessed July 20, 2017. http://stats.moe.gov.tw/files/important/OVERVIEW_U05.pdf.
- Ministry of Education in Taiwan 臺灣教育部. 2017d. “bó shì shēng jiù dú lèi kē zhī bǐ lǜ 博士生就讀類科之比率” [Percentages of Major Disciplines of Doctoral-Level Students in Taiwan]. Accessed July 20, 2017. http://stats.moe.gov.tw/files/important/OVERVIEW_U06.pdf.
- Ministry of Education in Taiwan 臺灣教育部. 2017e. “dà zhuān xiào yuàn shī zī zhuān cháng fēn pèi jié gòu 大專校院師資專長分配結構” [Expertise Distribution Structure of Professors at Higher Education Institutions in Taiwan]. Accessed July 20, 2017. http://stats.moe.gov.tw/files/important/OVERVIEW_U14.pdf.
- Ministry of Science and Technology in Taiwan 臺灣科技部. 2017a. “kē jì bù èr líng yī qī dào èr líng èr líng nián zhōng chéng zhèng cè jì huà 科技部 2017到2020 年中程政策計畫” [Mid-Term Policy Plan of Ministry of Science and Technology (2017–2020)]. Accessed July 20, 2017. https://www.most.gov.tw/most/attachments/1925ec5e-a6b8-4013-988e-17bb45b0dd24.
- Ministry of Science and Technology in Taiwan 臺灣科技部. 2017b. “zhuān tí yán jiù jì huà shēn qǐng hé dìng jīng fèi qū shì tú 專題研究計畫申請核定經費趨勢圖” [Figures of Trends of Research Project Application and Awarded Fund]. Accessed July 20, 2017. http://statistics.most.gov.tw/was2/.
- Perng, Tsong-Pin. 2007. “tái wān rén wén zhèng cè de wǒ jiàn wǒ sī 台灣人文政策的我見我思” [My View and Thinking on Taiwanese Humanity Policies]. Accessed May 18, 2018. http://www.mse.nthu.edu.tw/~tpperng/Articles_eng.html.
- President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. 2012. “Engage to Excel: Producing One Million Additional College Graduates with Degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.” Accessed April 26, 2017. https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/pcast-executive-report-final_2-13-12.pdf.
- QS World University Rankings. 2017. “Methodology.” Accessed April 25, 2017. https://www.topuniversities.com/qs-world-university-rankings/methodology.
- Rau, Bang-An. 2015. “jì shù jí zhí yè jiāo yù fǎ gōng bù shí shī hòu jì zhí xiào yuàn zhī yīn yīng 技術及職業教育法公布實施後技職校院之因應” [Reactions of Vocational Schools After the Publication of Technical and Vocational Education Law]. Accessed May 18, 2018. regist.cyut.edu.tw/Personnel/GActApp/Download/3.
- SCImago. 2017a. “About Us.” Accessed April 20, 2017. http://www.scimagojr.com/aboutus.php.
- SCImago. 2017b. “Country Rankings.” Accessed April 20, 2017. http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.php.
- SCImago. 2017c. “Journal Rankings.” Accessed April 20, 2017. http://www.scimagojr.com/journalrank.php.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings. 2017. “World University Rankings 2016–2017 Methodology.” Accessed April 25, 2017. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/methodology-world-university-rankings-2016-2017.
- Tunghai University International College. 2017. “About the College.” Accessed April 23, 2017. http://ic.thu.edu.tw/web/about/page.php?scid=14&sid=16.
- Wang, Hsiou-Huai, Ai-Chu Ding, and Ai-Lan Su. 2011. “Crossing the Border of Disciplinary Knowledge: An Analysis of the Choice of Major at the Upper Level of College in Research-Oriented Comprehensive Universities, with the Use of One Case Study Based on Student Needs in Taiwan.” Journal of Research in Education Sciences 56 (3): 1–30.Google Scholar
- Wong, Joseph. 2003 “Deepening Democracy in Taiwan.” Pacific Affairs 76 (2): 235–256.Google Scholar