An Overview of Global Health for the Healthcare Professional
As the world continues to become more connected by technology, commerce, and international travel, it is critical for all healthcare professionals to understand the growing role of global health and to learn from this dynamic field. The definition of “global health” continues to evolve as new challenges, regulations, and innovations are constantly emerging which may add new dimensions (and solutions) to already complex health and social issues around the world. Healthcare professionals with this interest may look for opportunities to study these issues formally in master’s degree or certificates in global health, to see how their research could impact global populations, and to work abroad on the ground. This chapter is designed to give a general overview of the key components of global health and the important aspects of this field to consider when looking at a practice and career in global health.
KeywordsHealth Indicator Program Access Malaria Care
Conflict of Interest
Dr. Vivian T. Yin is a consultant for Genentech Inc. and Merz Pharmaceuticals.
- 4.Hutton DW, Le H-G, Aravind S, Ravindran RD, Aravind H, Ravilla T, et al. The cost of cataract surgery at the Aravind eye hospital. India IOVS. 2014;55(13):1289.Google Scholar
- 5.UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs. International decade for action: ‘Water for Life’ 2005–2015; 2014. http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/africa.shtml.
- 6.Obiols AL, Erpf K. Mission report on the evaluation of the PlayPumps installed in Mozambique. [Internet] 29 April 2008. Available from:https://www-tc.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/southernafrica904/flash/pdf/mozambique_report.pdf.
- 7.Frontline. Troubled Water. [Internet] Available from: http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/southernafrica904/video_index.html.
- 8.Chambers A. Africa’s not-so-magic roundabout. [Internet] 24 Nov 2009. Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/nov/24/africa-charity-water-pumps-roundabouts.
- 9.Population Education & Health Research Center Ltd. Nepal population report 2016. http://www.mope.gov.np/downloadfile/Nepal%20Population%20Report%202016_1481259851.pdf.
- 10.Paudel R, Upadhyaya T, Pahari DP. People’s perspective on access to healthcare service in a rural district of Nepal. JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc. 2012;52(185):20–4.Google Scholar
- 13.Muro F, Meta J, Renju J, Mushi A, Mabakilwa H, Olomi R, et al. “It is good to take her early to the doctor” – mother’s understanding of childhood pneumonia symptoms and healthcare seeking in Kilimanjaro region, Tanzania. BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 2017;17:27–35.Google Scholar
- 18.Reddy PA, Kishiki EA, Thapa HB, Demers L, Geneau R, Bassett K. Interventions to improve utilization of cataract surgical services by girls: case study from Asia and Africa. Ophthalmol Epidemiol. 2018;25(3):199–206. Epub 2017 Nov 10.Google Scholar
- 24.Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). On the fast-track to end AIDS. Geneva, Switzerland. UNAIDS; 2015. Available from: http://www.unaids.org/sites/default/files/media_asset/20151027_UNAIDS_PCB37_15_18_EN_rev1.pdf.
- 29.USAID. Indicators and calculating coverage indicators. [Internet] Available from: https://www.measureevaluation.org/resources/training/capacity-building-resources/m-e-of-malaria-programs-1/session-7-indicators/view.
- 30.Malaria Consortium. Final report of the external evaluation of Roll Back Malaria. November 2002. [Internet] Available from: http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/pcaab382.pdf.
- 33.USAID. Local systems: a framework for supporting sustained development. 2014. Available from: https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1870/LocalSystemsFramework.pdf.
- 34.Fagan T, Wu Z. Sustainable HIV financing in Zambia: baseline analysis and prospects for new domestic resource mobilization. Washington, DC: Palladium, Health Policy Project; 2015.Google Scholar
- 35.Seva Foundation. History: celebrating nearly 40 years of service. [Internet] Available from: http://www.seva.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about/history#.
- 36.Natchiar G, Tulasiraj RD, Sundaram RM. Cataract surgery at Aravind Eye Hospitals: 1988–2008. Comm Eye Health J. 2008;21(67):40–2.Google Scholar
- 37.Madhavan N. Aurolab: eyeing success. Business Today. July 7, 2013. Available from: http://www.businesstoday.in/magazine/special/innovation-special-aurolab-eye-care/story/195886.html.
- 41.Immelt JR, Govindarajan V, Trimble C. How GE is disrupting itself. Harv Bus Rev. 2009;87:56–65.Google Scholar