What recipe would you suggest to reduce unemployment, which is still high in some advanced countries?
- Alesina, A., & Ardagna, S. (2010). Large change in fiscal policy: Taxes versus spending. In J. R. Brown (Ed.), Tax policy and the economy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Amato, M., Fantacci, L., Papadimitriou, D. B., & Zezza, G. (2016). Going Forward from B to A? Proposals for the Eurozone crisis. Levy Economics Institute of Bard College. Working Paper, no. 866, May. www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/wp_866.pdf. Accessed Sept 2017.
- Anderson, D., Hunt, R., & Snudden, S. (2012). Fiscal consolidation in the Euro Area: How much can structural reforms ease the pain? International Monetary Fund. IMF Working papers, 13/211. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2013/wp13211.pdf. Accessed Sept 2015.
- Baker, D., Glyn, A., Howell, D., & Schmitt, J. (2004). Unemployment and labour market institutions: The failure of the empirical case for deregulation. ILO Working Paper, no. 43.Google Scholar
- Barkbu, B., Rahman, J., Valdés, R. and the staff team (2012). Fostering growth in Europe now. International Monetary Fund. IMF Staff Discussion Note. June, SDN 12/07. https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/sdn/2012/sdn1207.pdf. Accessed Aug 2012.
- Batini, N., Callegari, G., & Melina, G. (2012). Successful austerity in the United States, Europe and Japan. International Monetary Fund. IMF Working Paper, no. 12/190. https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2012/wp12190.pdf. Accessed May 2015.
- Bertocco, G. (2015). La crisi e le responsabilità degli economisti. Milan: Francesco Brioschi Editore. English edition: Bertocco, G. (2017). Crisis and the failure of economic theory. The responsibility of economists for the great recession. Cheltenham: E. Elgar.Google Scholar
- Blyth, M. (2013). Austerity. The history of dangerous idea. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Repr. 2015.Google Scholar
- Blyth, M. (2016). Policies to overcome stagnation: the crisis, and the possible futures, of all things euro. European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, 13(2), 215–228.Google Scholar
- Boitani, A. (2014, September 15). Contemporary Keynes. Eutopia. http://eutopiamagazine.eu/en/andrea-boitani/speakers-corner/contemporary-keynes. Accessed Sept 2014.
- Boitani, A., & Perdichizzi, S. (2018). Public expenditure multipliers in recessions. Evidence from the Eurzone. Department of Economics and Finance, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Milan. Working paper, no. 68. http://dipartimenti.unicatt.it/economia-finanza-working-papers-del-dipartimento-n-68-public-expenditure-multipliers-in-recessions-evidence-from. Accessed June 2018.
- Bossone, B., Cattaneo, M., Costa, M., & Sylos Labini, S. (2017, June 17). Moneta Fiscale: il punto della situazione. MicroMega. http://temi.repubblica.it/micromega-online/moneta-fiscale-il-punto-della-situazione. Accessed July 2017.
- Bouis, R., Causa, O., Demmou, L., Duval, R., & Zdzienicka, A. (2012). The short-term effect of structural reforms: An Empirical Analysis. OECD Economics Department Working Papers, no. 949, March. OECD Publishing, Paris. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5k9csvk4d56d-en. Accessed June 2012.
- Bright, I., & Janssen, S. (2017, January 13). Helicopter money: Loved, not spent. Vox, CEPR’s Policy Portal. http://voxeu.org/article/helicopter-money-loved-not-spent. Accessed Feb 2017.
- Clarke, P. (2009). Keynes. The twentieth century’s most influential economist. London: Bloomsbury. Repr. 2010.Google Scholar
- Cochrane, J. H. (2009, February 27). Fiscal stimulus, fiscal inflation, or fiscal fallacies? University of Chicago Booth School of Business. https://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john.cochrane/ research/papers/fiscal2.htm. Accessed Nov 2017.
- Coenen, G., Straub, R., & Trabandt, M. (2012). Gauging the effects of fiscal stimulus packages in the euro Area. European Central Bank Working Paper Series, no. 1483, October. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1483.pdf?76a5d25d7da74bff801712c488d56079. Accessed Dec 2012.
- De Grauwe, P., & Ji, Y. (2015, January 15). Quantitative easing in the Eurozone: It’s possible without fiscal transfers. Vox, CEPR’s Policy Portal. https://voxeu.org/article/quantitative-easing-eurozone-its-possible-without-fiscal-transfers. Accessed Jan 2015.
- Delpla, J., & Weizsäcker von, J. (2011). Eurobonds: The blue bond concept and its implications. Bruegel. http://bruegel.org/2011/03/eurobonds-the-blue-bond-concept-and-its-implications. Accessed Dec 2011.
- Draghi, M. (2014). Unemployment in the euro area. European Central Bank. Annual central bank symposium in Jackson Hole, 22 August. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/key/date/2014/html/sp140822.en.html. Accessed Sept 2014.
- Draghi, M. (2016). Addressing the causes of low interest rates. Annual Meeting of the Asian Development Bank, Frankfurt, 2 May. ttps://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/key/date/2016/html/sp160502.en.html. Accessed May 2016.
- The Economist. (2012, September 22). The reform club.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2014, November 29). The European Commission’s investment plan. Fiddling while Europe burns. Jean-Claude Juncker’s investment package is laughably inadequate.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2015, January 3). Coming soon? The ECB might unleash its long-awaited programme in early 2005.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2016, January 23). All at sea. Ideological divisions in economics undermine its value to the public.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2017, August 12). Overcapacity and undercapacity. Say’s law: supply creates its own demand.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2017, November 18). The grow-nothings. There are better motivations for tax reform than boosting growth.Google Scholar
- Eggertsson, G. B., Mehrotra, N. R., & Summers, L. H. (2016). Secular stagnation in the open economy. Working Paper no. 22172. National Bureau of Economic Research. http://www.nber.org/papers/w22172. Accessed May 2016.
- Galbraith, J. K. (2004). The economics of innocent fraud: Truth for our time. London and New York: Allen Lane-Penguin.Google Scholar
- Gali, J. (2014, October 3). Thinking the unthinkable: The effects of a money-financed fiscal stimulus. Vox, CEPR’s Policy Portal. https://www.google.it/search?q=Gali+2014+Thinking+the+unthinkable+Vox&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=fTUzVpbrNMXhPen3neAN. Accessed Feb 2015.
- Giacché, V. (2017, July 19). The real cause of the Italian bank bailouts and euro banking troubles. Institute for New Economic Thinking. https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/the-real-cause-of-the-italian-bank-bailouts-and-euro-banking-troubles. Accessed Aug 2017.
- Herzog-Stein, A., Lindner, F., & Zwiener, R. (2013). Is the supply side all that counts? IMK Report 87e. Macroeconomic Policy Institute: Hans-Böckler Stiftung.Google Scholar
- Kalecki, M. (1943). Political aspects of full employment. The Political Quarterly, 14(4), 322–330. Repr. In Kalecki, M. (1971). Selected M. Kalecki, essays on the dynamics of the capitalist economy 1933–1970. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Kaletsky, A. (2017, July 19). A ‘macroeconomic’ revolution? Project Syndicate. https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/replacement-market-fundamentalism-by-anatole-kaletsky-2017-07?barrier=accessreg. Accessed July 2017.
- Keynes, J. M. (1923). A tract on monetary reform, collected writings of John Maynard Keynes (Vol. iv, p. 1971). London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Keynes, J. M. (1937, January 12–14). How to avoid a slump. The Times. Repr. In Keynes J. M. (1982), Activities 1931-1939. World crisis and policies in Britain and America, collected writings of John Maynard Keynes, vol. xxi. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Kirman, A. P., Bassett, D., & Claveau, F. (2016, October 16). Distinguished economist says economics has gone down a blind alley. Traditional economics is mathematically sophisticated without representing the fundamental features of the macro-economy. Evonomics.com. http://evonomics.com/macroeconomics-alan-kirman-blind-alley. Accessed Nov 2016.
- Kotz, H.-H. (2016, April 19). Mario Draghi and Germany’s fiscal fetish. Project Syndicate. https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/ecb-under-attack-in-germany-by-hans-helmut-kotz-2016-04?barrier=accesspaylog. Accessed June 2016.
- Krugman, P. (2011, January 12). Can Europe be saved? The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/magazine/16Europe-t.html. Accessed Oct 2015.
- Krugman, P. (2013, May 5). The chutzpah cactus. Blog, The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/opinion/krugman-the-chutzpah-caucus.html?mtrref=www.google.it&gwh=507CDDE390591733FECA6AF25E29CCDE&gwt=pay&assetType=opinion. Accessed May 2013.
- Krugman, P. (2013, May 26). Reinhart and Rogoff are not happy. Blog, The New York Times. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/reinhart-and-rogoff-are-not-happy. Accessed June 2013.
- Lucas, R. E. (1980). The death of Keynesian economics. Winter: Issues and Ideas.Google Scholar
- Mann, C. L. (2016, November 28). Deploy effective fiscal initiatives and promote inclusive trade policies to escape from the low-growth trap. OECD Ecoscope. https://oecdecoscope.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/deploy-effective-fiscal-initiatives-and-promote-inclusive-trade-policies-to-escape-from-the-low-growth-trap. Accessed Dec 2016.
- Mirowski, P. (2013). Never let a serious crisis go to waste. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Münchau, W. (2014, January 19). The real scandal is France’s stagnant economic thinking. Financial Times. www.ft.com/content/0a469808-7f6e-11e3-b6a7-00144feabdc0. Accessed Dec 2014.
- Münchau, W. (2014, November 23). Radical left is right about Europe’s debt. Financial Times. www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/48e6fa76-70bd-11e4-8113-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3qBPy1PUH. Accessed Dec 2014.
- Münchau, W. (2016, May 8). Draghi, Schäuble and the high cost of Germany’s savings culture. Financial Times. https://next.ft.com/content/ac187312-12cf-11e6-839f-2922947098f0. Accessed May 2016.
- Ostry, J.D., Loungani, P., & Furceri, D. (2016). Neoliberalism: Oversold? Finance & Development, pp. 38–41. www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2016/06/pdf/ostry.pdf. Accessed June 2016.
- Pâris, P., & Wyplosz, C. (2014, January 28). The PADRE plan: Politically acceptable debt restructuring in the Eurozone. Vox, CEPR’s Policy Portal. http://www.voxeu.org/article/padre-plan-politically-acceptable-debt-restructuring-eurozone. Accessed Apr 2014.
- Pilling, D. (2013, November 29). Lunch with the FT: Ha-Joon Chang. Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/27a2027e-5698-11e3-8cca-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3oQqkXJxp. Accessed Dec 2013.
- Pitelis, C. (1991). Market and non-market hierarchies. Theory of institutional failure. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Posner, R. A. (2009). A failure of capitalism. The crisis of ’08 and the descent into depression. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Rajaram, A., Minh Le, T., Kaiser, K., Kim, J.-H., & Frank, J. (Eds.) (2014). The power of public investment management: Transforming resources into asset for growth. Washington, DC: World Bank Group. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/2014/09/20268592/power-public-investment-management-transforming-resources-assets-growth. Accessed Oct 2015.
- Rapley, J. (2017, July 17). How economics became a religion. The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jul/11/how-economics-became-a-religion. Accessed Aug 2017.
- Rodrik, D. (2015, October 8). The mirage of structural reform. Project Syndicate. https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/greece-structural-reform-mirage-by-dani-rodrik-2015-10. Accessed Oct 2015.
- Rodrik, D. (2017, November 6). Rescuing economics from neoliberalism. Boston Review. https://bostonreview.net/class-inequality/dani-rodrik-rescuing-economics-neoliberalism. Accessed Nov 2017.
- Röpke, W. (1942). Die gesellschaftskrisis der gegenwart Erlenbach-Zurich: Verlag. 1942. English edition: Röpke, W. (1950). The social crisis of our time (trans: Röpke, W.). London: W. Hodge & C.Google Scholar
- Röpke, W. (1948). Civitas humana. A humane order of society. London: W. Hodge & C.Google Scholar
- Roubini, N., & Mihm, S. (2010). Crisis economics. A crash course in the future finance. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Sinn, H.-W. (2014, November 1). In defence of the profession. Sueddeutsche. http://www.fiwi.uni-jena.de/wfwmedia/Lehre/AdvPSE1_14/Sinn_SZ_31102014_englisch.pdf. Accessed Dec 2014.
- Skidelsky, R. (2006). Hayek versus Keynes: The road to reconciliation. In E. Feser (Ed.), The Cambridge companion to Hayek. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. http://www.skidelskyr.com/site/article/hayek-versus-keynes-the-road-to-reconciliation. Accessed Apr 2016.
- Stiglitz, J. E. (2012). The price of inequality. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Stiglitz, J. E. (2014, May 6). Can the euro be saved? An analysis of the future of the currency union. Rome: LUISS University. https://www0.gsb.columbia.edu/faculty/jstiglitz/download/papers/2014_Can_Euro_Be_Saved_pub.pdf. Accessed Sept 2014.
- Stiglitz, J. E. (2016, January 3). The great malaise continues. Project Syndicate. https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/great-malaise-global-economic-stagnation-by-joseph-e—stiglitz-2016-01. Accessed Dec 2015.
- Stiglitz, J. E., Guzman, M. (2015, June 15). A rule of law for sovereign debt. Project Syndicate. http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/sovereign-debt-restructuring-by-joseph-e-stiglitz-and-martin-guzman-2015-06. Accessed July 2015.
- Summers, L. H. (2016, February 15). The age of secular stagnation. What it is and what to do about it. Foreign Affairs. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/print/1116485. Accessed June 2016.
- Tobin, J. (2001). Currency unions, Europe vs. the United States. Policy Options, May, p. 31–33.Google Scholar
- University of Chicago, Booth School of Business. (2015, April 7). IGM forum on American recovery and reinvestment ACT (ARRA). http://www.igmchicago.org/igm-economic-experts-panel/poll-results?SurveyID=SV_cw5O9LNJL1oz4Xi. Accessed May 2015.
- Varoufakis, Y. (2016). And the weak suffer what they must. Europe, austerity and the threat to global stability. London: The Bodley Head. Repr. 2017. London: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Varoufakis, Y. (2017, August 29). The promise of fiscal money. Project Syndicate. https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/fiscal-money-end-central-bank-independence-by-yanis-varoufakis-2017-08. Accessed Sept 2017.
- Warner, J. (2013, October 6). Oh God - I cannot take any more austerity debate. The Telegraph Sunday. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jeremywarner/100025496/oh-god-i-cannot-take-any-more-of-the-austerity-debate. Accessed Oct 2013.
- Wren Lewis, S. J. (2014, November 16). Can we have our instrument back? Mainly Macro. http://mainlymacro.blogspot.it/2014/11/can-we-have-our-instrument-back.html. Accessed Nov 2014.
- Wren Lewis, S. J. (2015, November 11). Europe’s other taboo: reform of the ECB. Mainly Macro. http://mainlymacro.blogspot.it/2015/11/europes-other-taboo-reform-of-ecb.html. Accessed Nov 2015.
- Wren Lewis, S. J. (2017, August 11). The politics of lying. Mainly Macro. https://mainlymacro.blogspot.it/2017/08/the-politics-of-lying.html. Accessed Aug 2017.
- Zingales, L. (2012). Capitalism for the people. Recapturing the lost genius of American prosperity. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Zingales, L. (2014). Europa o no. Sogno da realizzare o incubo da cui uscire. Milan: Rizzoli.Google Scholar
© Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2018