Why Fiscal Austerity?
Are people right to criticise austerity or not? Some political leaders have adopted very critical positions.
- Alesina, A., & Ardagna, S. (2010). Large change in fiscal policy: Taxes versus spending. In J. R. Brown (Ed.), Tax policy and the economy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Arrow, K., Blinder, A., Diamond, P., Maskin, E., Sharpe, W., Solow, R., Schultze, C., & Tyson, L. (2011). Nobel Laureates and leading economists oppose constitutional balanced budget amendment. http://www.cbpp.org/files/7-19-11bud-pr-sig.pdf. Accessed May 2012.
- Baker, D. (2010). The myth of expansionary fiscal austerity. CEPR Working Paper, October. http://www.cepr.net/publications/reports/the-myth-of-expansionary-fiscal-austerity. Accessed Dec 2010.
- Batini, N., Callegari, G., & Melina, G. (2012). Successful austerity in the United States, Europe and Japan. International Monetary Fund. IMF Working Paper, no. 12/190. https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2012/wp12190.pdf. Accessed May 2015.
- Blanchard, O., & Leigh, D. (2013). Growth forecast errors and fiscal multipliers. International Monetary Fund, IMF Working Paper, no. 13/1, January. https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2013/wp1301.pdf. Accessed Mar 2013.
- Blanchard, O., & Leigh, D. (2013, May 3). Fiscal consolidation: At what speed? Vox, CEPR’s Policy Portal. http://www.voxeu.org/article/fiscal-consolidation-what-speed. Accessed May 2013.
- Blanchard, O. J., Romer, D., Spence, M., & Stiglitz, J. E. (2012). In the wake of the crisis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Blyth, M. (2013). Austerity. The history of dangerous idea. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Repr. 2015.Google Scholar
- Boitani, A., & Perdichizzi, S. (2018). Public expenditure multipliers in recessions. Evidence from the Eurzone. Department pf Economics and Finance, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Milan. Working paper, no. 68. http://dipartimenti.unicatt.it/economia-finanza-working-papers-del-dipartimento-n-68-public-expenditure-multipliers-in-recessions-evidence-from. Accessed June 2018.
- Brancaccio, E. et al. (2013, September 23). The economists’ warning. Financial Times. http://www.theeconomistswarning.com/2013/09/the-economists-warning.html. Accessed Oct 2013.
- Brecht, B. (1956). Leben des Galilei. English edition: Brecht, B. (2008). Life of Galileo (trans: Manheim, R., Willett, J.). London: Penguin Classics.Google Scholar
- Chang, H.-J. (2014, October 20). Why did Britain’s political class buy into the Tories’ economic fairytale? The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/19/britain-political-class-tories-economic-fairytale. Accessed Oct 2014.
- Coenen, G., Straub, R., & Trabandt, M. (2012). Gauging the effects of fiscal stimulus packages in the euro Area. European Central Bank Working Paper Series, no. 1483, October. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1483.pdf?76a5d25d7da74bff801712c488d56079. Accessed Dec 2012.
- Davies, G. (2012, October 21). High fiscal multipliers undermine austerity programmes. Financial Times. http://blogs.ft.com/gavyndavies/2012/10/21/high-fiscal-multipliers-undermine-austerity-programme. Accessed Nov 2012.
- De Grauwe, P. (2015, January 30). Secular stagnation in the Eurozone. Vox, CEPR’s Policy Portal. http://www.voxeu.org/article/secular-stagnation-eurozone. Accessed Feb 2015.
- Della Posta, P. (2017). Interest rate targets and speculative attacks on public debt. Macroeconomic Dynamics. Forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Eberhardt, M., & Presbitero, A. F. (2013, November 17). Public debt and economic growth: There is no ‘tipping point’. Vox, CEPR’s Policy Portal. https://voxeu.org/article/debt-and-growth-no-tipping-point. Accessed Dec 2013.
- The Economist. (2010, October 2). Cutting edge. Does fiscal austerity boost short-term growth? A new IMF paper thinks not.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2012, October 27a). Short-term austerity in the aftermath of a severe crisis may prove more painful than thought.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2012, October 27b). Leaders.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2013, April 20). The 90% question.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2013, September 28). Stimulus v austerity. Sovereign doubts.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2014, October 4). Concrete benefits, IMF and fiscal multiplier.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2015, June 13). The Washington wishing-well. The unstoppable rise in lobbying by American business is bad for business itself.Google Scholar
- Galilei, G. (1632). Dialogo sopra i due massimi sistemi del mondo tolemaico, e copernicano; proponendo indeterminatamente le ragioni filosofiche, e naturali tanto per l’una, quanto per l’altra parte. Firenze: Gianbattista Landini, (1914). English edition: Galilei, G. (1914). Dialogues concerning two new sciences (trans: de Salvio, A., Crew, H.). New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Giacché, V. (2008). La fabbrica del falso. Strategie della menzogna nella politica contemporanea. Rome: DeriveApprodi. New updated edition, Reggio Emilia: Imprimatur, 2016.Google Scholar
- Giacché, V. (2013). Anschluss. L’annessione. L’unificazione della Germania e il futuro dell’Europa. Reggio Emilia: Imprimatur. Repr. 2014. German edition: Giacché, V. (2014). Anschluss: Die deutsche Vereinigung und die Zukunft Europas. Erschienen: Laika Verlag. French edition: Giacché, V. (2015). Le second Anschluss: l’annexion de la RDA: L’unification de l’Allemagne et l’avenir de l’Europe. Paris: Les édition Delga.Google Scholar
- Grossman, S. (2014, February 16). 1 in 4 Americans apparently unaware the earth orbits the sun. Time. http://time.com/7809/1-in-4-amercans-thinks-sun-orbits-eqarth/. Accessed Aug 2015.
- Guajardo J., Leigh D., & Pescatori, A. (2011). Expansionary austerity: New international evidence. International Monetary Fund. IMF Working Paper, 11/158, July. https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2011/wp11158.pdf. Accessed Nov 2016.
- Heilbron, J. L. (2010). Galileo. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- International Monetary Fund (IMF). (2010). Will it hurt? Macroeconomic effects of fiscal consolidation. World economic outlook: Recovery, risk and rebalancing (Chap. 3, pp. 93–124). https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2010/02/pdf/c3.pdf. Accessed Nov 2010.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF). (2012). The good, the bad, and the ugly: 100 years of dealing with public debt overhangs. World economic outlook: Coping with high debt and sluggish growth (Chap. 3, pp. 101–127). www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2012/02/pdf/text.pdf. Accessed Nov 2012.
- Jayadev, A., & Konczal, M. (2010). The boom not the slump: The right time for austerity. Roosevelt Institute Working Paper. http://www.rooseveltinstitute.org/sites/all/files/not_the_time_for_austerity.pdf. Accessed June 2015.
- Kangas, O., & Kalliomaa-Puha, L. (2017). Austerity measures in Finland. European Commission. ESPN Flash Report 2017/28, May. http://ec.europa.eu/social/BlobServlet?docId=17818&langId=en. Accessed Dec 2017.
- Krugman, P. (1996). A country is not a company. Harvard Business Review. January-February. https://hbr.org/1996/…/a-country-is-not-a-company. Accessed Dec 2015.
- Krugman, P. (2013, March 14). Running government like a business or family. Blog, The New York Times. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/running-government-like-a-business-or-family. Accessed Apr 2013.
- Krugman, P. (2013, May 26). Reinhart and Rogoff are not happy. Blog, The New York Times. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/reinhart-and-rogoff-are-not-happy. Accessed June 2013.
- Krugman, P. (2015, July 3). Europe’s many economic disasters. Blog, The New York Times. https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/03/opinion/paul-krugman-europes-many-disatersd.html. Accessed Dec 2017.
- Krugman, P. (2015, July 7a). Milton Friedman, Irvin Fisher, and Greece. Blog, The New York Times. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/milton-friedman-irving-fisher-and-greece. Accessed July 2015.
- Krugman, P. (2015, July 7b). Debt deflation in Greece. Blog, The New York Times. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/debt-deflation-in-greece. Accessed July 2015.
- Krugman, P. (2015, September 1). Multipliers: What we should have known. Blog, The New York Times. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/multipliers-what-we-should-have-known. Accessed Jan 2015.
- Krugman, P. (2016, June 17). When virtue fails. Blog, The New York Times. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/017/when-virtue-fials. Accessed Dec 2017.
- Krugman, P., & Blanchard, O. (2016). How to save the world economy? Social Europe. Video. City University of New York, 4 January. http://www.socialeurope.eu/2016/01/how-to-save-the-world-economy. Accessed Jan 2016.
- Latouche, S. (2007). Petit traité de la décroissance sereine, Paris: Mille et une nuits. Department de la Librairie Arthème Fayard. English edition: Latouche, S. (2010). Farewell to growth (trans: Macey, D.). Cambridge: Polity Press. Repr. 2015.Google Scholar
- Levine, D. K. (2015). Keynesian illusion. March. http://www.dklevine.com/general/illusion.5.htm. Accessed Apr 2015.
- Maris, B. (1999). Lettre ouverte aux gourous de l’économie qui nous prennent pour des imbéciles. Paris: Albin Michel.Google Scholar
- Office for Budget Responsibility. (2012). Forecast evaluation report. London: The Stationary Office. October. http://budgetresponsibility.org.uk/forecast-evaluation-report-october-2012. Accessed May 2015.
- Ostry, J.D., Loungani, P., & Furceri, D. (2016). Neoliberalism: Oversold? Finance & Development, pp. 38–41. www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2016/06/pdf/ostry.pdf. Accessed June 2016.
- Reich, R. B. (2007). Supercapitalism. The transformation of business, democracy, and everyday life. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. Repr. 2008.Google Scholar
- Reinhart, C., & Rogoff, K. S. (2010, August 11). Debt and growth revised., Vox, CEPR’s Policy Portal. http://www.voxeu.org/article/debt-and-growth-revisited. Accessed Sept 2010.
- Romer, C. D. (2011). What do we know about effects of fiscal policy? Separating evidence from ideology. http://eml.berkeley.edu/cromer/Written%20Version%20of%20Effects%20of%20Fiscal%20Policy.pdf. Accessed Jan 2012.
- Screpanti, E. (2013). L’imperialismo globale e la grande crisi: L’incerto futuro del capitalismo. Rome: ilmiolibro.it. English edition: Screpanti, E. (2014). Global imperialism and the great crisis: The uncertain future of capitalism. New York: Monthly Review Press.Google Scholar
- Skidelsky, R., et al. (2010, February 18). First priority must be to restore robust growth. Letter to the Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/75b2481e-1cb5-11df-8d8e-00144feab49a.html#axzz3nrafmLEb. Accessed Feb 2010.
- Stiglitz, J. E. (2014, May 6). Can the euro be saved? An analysis of the future of the currency union. Rome: LUISS University. https://www0.gsb.columbia.edu/faculty/jstiglitz/download/papers/2014_Can_Euro_Be_Saved_pub.pdf. Accessed Sept 2014.
- Tamborini, R. (2014). Transatlantic austerity 2010-… A comparative assessment. http://www.siecon.org/online/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Tamborini-92.pdf. Accessed Oct 2014.
- Wren Lewis, S. J. (2017, June 5). Could austerity impact be persistent. Mainly Macro. https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2017/06/could-austeritys-impact-be-persistent.html. Accessed June 2017.
- Zingales, L. (2012). Capitalism for the people. Recapturing the lost genius of American prosperity. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
© Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2018