Management of Traumatic Liver Injuries
- 59 Downloads
As the largest solid organ in the human body, the liver is particularly susceptible to traumatic injury. Successful management of hepatic trauma depends on the clinical status of the patient at time of presentation. Non-operative management of hemodynamically stable hepatic trauma is the typical course; however, for the unstable patient or patient who is failing conservative treatment, operation is mandated.
KeywordsInjury Liver Hepatic trauma Computed tomography Angioembolization Damage control surgery
- 1.American College of Surgeons. Advanced trauma life support. 9th ed. Chicago: American College of Surgeons; 2013.Google Scholar
- 2.East.org. Blunt abdominal trauma, evaluation of – practice management guideline. [online] East.org. Available at: http://www.east.org/education/practice-management-guidelines/blunt-abdominal-trauma%2c-evaluation-of [Accessed 30 Oct 2017].
- 3.Moore E, Cogbill T, Malangoni M, Jurkovich G, Champion H. Injury scoring scales – the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma. [online] Aast.org. 1994. Available at: http://www.aast.org/Library/TraumaTools/InjuryScoringScales.aspx#liver [Accessed 30 Oct 2017].
- 4.Mattox K, Moore E, Feliciano D. Trauma. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2013.Google Scholar
- 5.East.org. Blunt hepatic injury, selective nonoperative management of – practice management guideline. 2012. [online] Available at: http://www.east.org/education/practice-management-guidelines/blunt-hepatic-injury%2c-selective-nonoperative-management-of [Accessed 30 Oct 2017].
- 6.Kozar R. WTAAlgorithms. n.d. [online] Westerntrauma.org. Available at: http://www.westerntrauma.org/algorithms/WTAAlgorithms_files/gif_3.htm [Accessed 30 Oct 2017].
- 7.Kozar R. WTAAlgorithms. [online] Westerntrauma.org. n.d. Available at: http://www.westerntrauma.org/algorithms/WTAAlgorithms_files/gif_5.htm. [Accessed 30 Oct 2017].
- 8.Hirshberg A, Mattox K. Top knife. Nr Shrewsbury: TFM; 2005. p. 83–98.Google Scholar
- 9.Baillie J. Hemobilia. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;8(4):270–2.Google Scholar