Introduction: Problems and Prospects for Multidisciplinary Team Meetings
The MDTsInAction research programme developed from early conversations around how formulation and decision-making works in multidisciplinary mental health teams, to the elaboration of a research programme that would interrogate how this communication worked. MDT meetings offer a particular research focus representing a “microcosm” of interprofessional working, ideal for interrogating face-to-face communications. A systematic literature review of the effects of poor communication revealed implications for service users, institutions and staff, including delays and inadequacies in care, and staff burnout. Power and hierarchy, and representing service user voices, were key themes relevant to poor communication. This provided a rational for studying MDT communication in teams. An overview of the book is provided, identifying the key themes: methods, clinical applications, service user concerns and interventions.
- Ahluwalia, S. C., Bekelman, D. B., Huynh, A. K., Prendergast, T. J., Shreve, S., & Lorenz, K. A. (2015). Barriers and strategies to an iterative model of advance care planning communication. The American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Care, 32(8), 817–823. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909114541513.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Borrill, C. S., Carletta, J., Carter, A. J., Dawson, J. F., Garrod, S. Rees, A., …, West, M. A. (2001). The effectiveness of health care teams in the National Health Service. Aston University. Retrieved on 10 May 2016 from http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jeanc/DOH-final-report.pdf.
- CASP Checklists. (2014). Critical Appraisal Skills Programme. Retrieved 17 October 2016 from http://media.wix.com/ugd/dded87_29c5b002d99342f788c6ac670e49f274.pdf.
- D’Amour, D., Goulet, L., Labadie, J.-F., Martín-Rodriguez, L. S., & Pineault, R. (2008). A model and typology of collaboration between professionals in healthcare organizations. BMC Health Services Research 2008, 8, 188. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-8-188.
- Davis, M. M., Devoe, M., Kansagara, D., Nicolaidis, C., & Englander, H. (2012). “Did I do as best as the system would let me?” Healthcare professional views on hospital to home care transitions. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 27(12), 1649–1656. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-012-2169-3.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Department of Health (DoH). (2012). Winterbourne view hospital: Department of health review and response. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/winterbourne-view-hospital-department-of-health-review-and-response.
- Department of Health (DoH). (2013). The report of the Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust public inquiry. Retrieved from: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/279124/0947.pdf.
- Department of Health. (2014). The care act. London: Department of Health.Google Scholar
- Fox, L., Onders, R., Hermansen-Kobulnicky, C. J., Nguyen, T.-N., Myran, L., Linn, B., & Hornecker, J. (2018). Teaching interprofessional teamwork skills to health professional students: A scoping review. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 32(2), 127–135. https://doi.org/10.1080/13561820.2017.1399868CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Johnston, L., & Dallos, R. (2014). Formulation in psychology and psychotherapy: Making sense of people’s problems (2nd ed.). Hove: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Johnstone, L., & Boyle, M., with Cromby, J., Dillon, J., Harper, D., Kinderman, P., Longden, E., Pilgrim, D., & Read, J. (2018). The power threat meaning framework: Towards the identification of patterns in emotional distress, unusual experiences and troubled or troubling behaviour, as an alternative to functional psychiatric diagnosis. Leicester: British Psychological Society.Google Scholar
- Mosser, G., & Begun, J. W. (2013). Understanding teamwork in health care. New York: McGraw Hill Professional.Google Scholar
- National Health Service (NHS) England. (2014). MDT Development—Working towards an effective multidisciplinary/multiagency team. Retrieved from https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/mdt-dev-guid-flat-fin.pdf.
- Payne, M. (2000). Teamwork in multiprofessional care. Basingstoke: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Sidnell, J. (2010). Conversation analysis: An introduction. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Wilson, R. M., Runciman, W. B., Gibberd, R. W., Harrison, B. T., Newby, L., & Hamilton, J. D. (1995). The quality in Australian health care study. Medical Journal of Australia, 63, 458–471.Google Scholar
- World Health Organisation. (2013). Framework for action on interprofessional education and collaboration. Geneva: The World Health Organisation.Google Scholar
- World Health Organisation. (2015). People-centred health systems in the WHO European region: Voices of patients and carers. Geneva, Switzerland: The World Health Organisation.Google Scholar