Trans-Scapes Transitions in Transit
A philosopher offers a small cluster of provocations that lay out a landscape through which to meander, engaging here with insights, there with complexities, eventually to have carved a pattern of understanding rather than to have simply transitioned from one state to some predetermined goal state.
My gratitude to my travel companions: Rosalva Resendiz, Cathy Ragland, and Roberto De Souza along the Rio Grande Valley; Elana Zilberg and Stephanie Kane at the Tijuana-San Diego border; Daniel Bhozkov in Venice; Ton Dekker in Amsterdam; Mary Lynn Babcock and Brian O’Connor in Denton, TX. Photographs are made by Irene J. Klaver during these transitions in 2017 and 2018.
- Anzaldúa, Gloria. 2012. Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza, 4th ed. San Francisco: Aunt Lute Books.Google Scholar
- Becker, Elizabeth. 2017. Only Governments Can Stem the Tide of Tourism Sweeping the Globe. The Guardian, August 5. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/05/only-governments-can-stem-tide-of-tourism-sweeping-the-globe. Accessed April 15, 2018.
- Bhabha, Homi. 1995. Freedom’s Basis in the Indeterminate. In The Identity in Question, ed. John Rajchman. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Brown, Wendy. 2010. Walled States, Waning Sovereignty. New York: Zone Books.Google Scholar
- Butler, Judith. 1996. Universality in Culture. In For Love of the Country, Martha C. Nussbaum with Respondents, ed. Joshua Cohen. Boston: Beacon Press.Google Scholar
- Calvino, Italo. 1974 . Invisible Cities. New York: Harcourt Brace & Company and A Harvest Book.Google Scholar
- Couzy, Michiel. 2016. Amsterdam gaat toerisme beteugelen door strengere toetsing nieuwe hotels. Het Parool, January 9. http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/5/POLITIEK/article/detail/4221093/2016/01/09/Amsterdam-gaat-toerisme-beteugelen-door-strengere-toetsing-nieuwe-hotels.dhtml/. Accessed August 15, 2017.
- Fitzpatrick, John W., and Nathan R. Senner. 2018. Shorebirds, the World’s Greatest: Travelers, Face Extinction. New York Times, April 27. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/27/opinion/shorebirds-extinction-climate-change.html.
- Gilmore, Kate. 2016. “Migrants in Transit” Keynote Address the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=18485&LangID=E.
- Hapgood, Fred. 1993. Up the Infinite Corridor: MIT and the Technical. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Klaver, Irene J. 2007. Boundaries on the Edge. In Boundary Explorations in Ecological Theory and Practice, ed. Charles Brown and Ted Toadvine, 113–133. Albany: State University of New York Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. Re-Rivering Environmental Imagination: Meander Movement and Merleau-Ponty. In Nature and Experience: Phenomenological Approaches to the Environment, ed. Bryan E. Bannon, 113–127. London: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- ———. 2017. Indeterminacy in Place: Rivers as Bridge and Meandering as Metaphor. In Phenomenology and Place, ed. Janet Donohoe, 209–225. London: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- ———. 2018. Meandering and Riversphere: The Potential of Paradox. Open Rivers: Rethinking Water, Place & Community, no. 11. http://editions.lib.umn.edu/openrivers/article/meandering-and-riversphere-the-potential-of-paradox/.
- McKenna, Josephine. 2016. The Telegraph, July 15. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/un-threatens-to-place-venice-on-endangered-list-unless-italy-ban/. Accessed April 15, 2018.
- Rajchman, John. 1995. Introduction: The Question of Identity. In The Identity in Question, ed. John Rajchman. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). 2016. United Nations Human Rights Report. Situations of Migrants in Transit.Google Scholar
- Stavans, Ilan. 1996. An Interview with Fernando del Paso. Review of Contemporary Fiction 16 (1) (Spring).Google Scholar