- 467 Downloads
Type 1 diabetes mellitus is an autoimmune disease leading to an irreversible ß-cell deficit responsible for a complete insulin secretion deficiency. To date, no preventive or curative treatment for type 1 diabetes mellitus has been successfully translated to standard clinical care. Type 1 diabetes treatment is based on lifelong multi-daily injections of exogenous insulin. In the last decades, considerable improvements in diabetes management have occurred: thanks to an intensive disease management and the widespread use of new therapies such as new insulin formulations and new medical devices (insulin pump, real-time continuous glucose monitoring system, improved glucose monitoring system), the overall glycemic control of patients with type 1 diabetes has improved, and the incidence of long-term diabetic complications and the mortality of type 1 diabetic patients have decreased.
- 4.Gruessner AC, Gruessner RW. Pancreas transplant outcomes for United States and non United States cases as reported to the United Network for Organ Sharing and the International Pancreas Transplant Registry as of December 2011. Clin Transpl. 2012:23–40.Google Scholar
- 8.Barr CC. Retinopathy and nephropathy in patients with type 1 diabetes four years after a trial of intensive insulin therapy, by The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications Research Group. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:381–9. Surv Ophthalmol. 2001;45(5):459–60.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Services USDoHaH, Administration FaD, Research CfBEa. Guidance for industry: Considerations for allogeneic pancreatic islet cell products. 2009.Google Scholar
- 18.Lablanche S, et al. Islet transplantation versus insulin therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes with severe hypoglycaemia or poorly controlled glycaemia after kidney transplantation (TRIMECO): a multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2018;6(7):527–37.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Collaborative islet transplant registry, Ninth annual report. 2016. http://www.citregistry.org/.