Digital Disability Divide in Finland
The modern societies have become more and more digitalized during recent years. Owning a digital device and accessing internet at home are part of everyday life, while many essential services, such as banking, are offered through internet. However, advances in digital technologies have not affected everybody similarly and there can still be groups of people who do not use internet on daily bases. Hence, we concentrates on studying the digital divide from specific viewpoint – the one of people with disabilities. Prior studies indicate that their possibilities to access and use internet are lower than for people without disabilities. This gap is referred as digital disability divide.
This study employs a quantitative approach to analyse digital disability divide in technologically advanced society. Our data is retrieved from a nationwide survey, which was conducted in Finland during years 2012–2015 by National Institute for Health and Welfare. The data was analysed regarding two main aspects: access to internet and use of internet. The analyses focused on people with disabilities and their family members. The results indicate that both access rate and usage of internet are lower among them than the rest of the population.
KeywordsPeople with disabilities Disabled people Digital divide Disability divide Digital disability divide Finland
- 5.Scholz, F., Yalcin, B., Priestley, M.: Internet access for disabled people: understanding socio-relational factors in Europe. Cyberpsychology: J. Psychosoc. Res. Cyberspace 11(1), 13 p. (2017). https://doi.org/10.5817/CP2017-1-4
- 13.Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare: Still unequal – living conditions for people with functional impairments (2010). http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/publikationer2010/2010-6-21. Accessed 27 Mar 2018
- 15.Duplaga, M.: Digital divide among people with disabilities: analysis of data from a nationwide study for determinants of Internet use and activities performed online. PLoS One 16(6), 1–19 (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL). https://thl.fi/fi/tutkimus-ja-asiantuntijatyo/vaestotutkimukset/aikuisten-terveys-hyvinvointi-ja-palvelututkimus-ath/miten-ath-tutkimus-tehdaan. Accessed 13 Apr 2018
- 18.Kela. Kelan tilastollinen vuosikirja (2012)Google Scholar