Communication Measurement as a Key Factor for Organizational Strategy Success
The communication field studies the ways to influence and manage the perception one has about people, companies, and concepts. In organizations, the consumers’ as well as other stakeholders’ perception can directly impact results and profit. Employees’ perception also plays an important role as they become engaged and more productive due to attributing meaning to institutions, routines, work, and so on. That said, it is essential for enterprise success to invest in communicating clearly and understandably its strategy—in other words, in a way that creates meaning for the company and its workforce. A study, carried by the Harvard Business Review in 2010 with 1075 executives, asked about how strategy was developed in their companies and which challenges were depriving its execution, among other aspects. According to respondents, the biggest challenge to execution is to make strategy meaningful to employees in the front office of the company. The challenge is reasonable, as many people cannot even tell what the company strategy is. To 72% of respondents, communicating the strategy clearly is a priority to execution.
KeywordsCommunication measurement Metrics Strategic communication Objectives setting Communication management Internal communications Indicator
- 2.0 Barcelona Principles. (2015, September). Retrieved from https://amecorg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Barcelona-Principles-2.pdf.
- Dozier, D., Grunig, L. E, & Grunig, J. (1995). Manager’s Guide Excellence in Public Relations and Communication Management. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. Google Scholar
- Hon, L., & Grunig, J. (1999). Guidelines for Measuring Relationships in Public Relations. Institute for Public Relations. Retrieved from http://painepublishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Guidelines_Measuring_Relationships.pdf.
- Lindenmann, K. (1993). An Effectiveness Yardstick to Measure Public Relations Success. New York: Public Relations Quarterly.Google Scholar
- State of the Sector Internal Communication and Employee Engagement Report. (2017). Gatehouse. Retrieved from: https://www.gatehouse.co.uk/14373-2/