Low-Power Resistive Bridge Readout Circuit Integrated in Two Millimeter-Scale Pressure-Sensing Systems
A duty-cycled bridge-to-digital converter (BDC) for small battery operated pressure sensing systems is presented and demonstrated in two complete microsystems. By heavily duty-cycling an excitation voltage for the bridge sensor, 6000× less excitation power is consumed compared with conventional DC biasing. The excitation voltage is sampled and used to generate an ADC reference voltage to avoid line voltage fluctuation. The BDC achieves 49.2 dB SNR and 2.5 nJ conversion energy with 10.6 pJ/c.s. FOM.
- 1.Jiang H, Makinwa KAA, Nihtianov S. 9.8 An energy-efficient 3.7nV/√Hz bridge-readout IC with a stable bridge offset compensation scheme. In 2017 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), 2017, pp. 172–3.Google Scholar
- 2.Grezaud R, Sibeud L, Lepin F, Willemin J, Riou JC, Gomez B. A robust and versatile, -40°C to +180°C, 8Sps to 1kSps, multi power source wireless sensor system for aeronautic applications. In 2017 Symposium on VLSI Circuits, 2017, pp. C310–1.Google Scholar
- 4.Donida A, et al. A circadian and cardiac intraocular pressure sensor for smart implantable lens. IEEE Trans Biomed Circuits Syst. 2015;9(6):777–89.Google Scholar
- 8.Kim G, et al. A millimeter-scale wireless imaging system with continuous motion detection and energy harvesting. In 2014 Symposium on VLSI Circuits Digest of Technical Papers, 2014, pp. 1–2.Google Scholar
- 9.Blaauw D, et al.. IoT design space challenges: Circuits and systems. In 2014 Symposium on VLSI Technology (VLSI-Technology): Digest of Technical Papers, 2014, pp. 1–2.Google Scholar
- 10.EnerChip, Cymbet Corporation. [Online]. Available: http://www.cymbet.com/. Accessed: 13-Mar-2018.
- 13.Jun J, Rhee C, Kim M, Kang J, Kim S. 19.7 A 21.8b sub-100μHz 1/f corner 2.4μV-offset programmable-gain read-out IC for bridge measurement systems. In 2018 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), 2018.Google Scholar
- 14.Oh S, et al.. 19.6 A 2.5nJ duty-cycled bridge-to-digital converter integrated in a 13mm2 pressure-sensing system. In 2018 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), 2018.Google Scholar
- 15.Bang S, Blaauw D, Sylvester D, Alioto M. Reconfigurable sleep transistor for GIDL reduction in ultra-low standby power systems. In Proceedings of the IEEE 2012 Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, 2012, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 16.Jeong S, et al.. 21.6 A 12nW always-on acoustic sensing and object recognition microsystem using frequency-domain feature extraction and SVM classification. In 2017 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), 2017, pp. 362–3.Google Scholar
- 18.Kuo YS, et al. MBus: A 17.5 pJ/bit/chip portable interconnect bus for millimeter-scale sensor systems with 8 nW standby power. In Proceedings of the IEEE 2014 Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, 2014, pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 23.Jung W, et al. 8.5 A 60%-efficiency 20nW-500μW tri-output fully integrated power management unit with environmental adaptation and load-proportional biasing for IoT systems. In 2016 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), 2016, pp. 154–5.Google Scholar
- 24.C39, TDK Europe – EPCOS. [Online]. Available: https://en.tdk.eu/pressure_sensor_elements. Accessed: 13-Mar-2018.
- 25.K-Series, Merit Sensor. [Online]. Available: https://meritsensor.com/. Accessed: 13-Mar-2018.
- 26.Lim W, Jang T, Lee I, Kim H-S, Sylvester D, Blaauw D. A 380pW dual mode optical wake-up receiver with ambient noise cancellation. In 2016 IEEE Symposium on VLSI Circuits (VLSI-Circuits), 2016, pp. 1–2.Google Scholar