Failed Reunification Attempts in Cyprus: Makarios and Bu Memleket Bizim
Kıralp argues that no attempt to reunify Cyprus is likely to achieve its goal until it is supported by both communities. The author examines two different processes that aimed to reunite Cyprus and the two communities on the island. The first process was led by President Makarios during 1968–1974. The second process started in late 1990s and was led in particular by the Turkish Cypriot platform Bu Memleket Bizim. This chapter analyzes the historical and political aspects of the two processes and stresses that both processes failed mainly because they lacked support from the other community.
- Balcı, A. (2010). 1990 Sonrası Türk Dış Politikası Üzerine Bazı Notlar: Avrupa Birliği ve Kıbrıs Örneği [Some Notes on Post-1990 Turkish Foreign Policy: EU and the Cyprus Example]. In C. Yenigün & E. Efegil (Eds.), Türkiye’nin Değişen Dış Politikası [Τhe Changing Turkish Foreign Policy] (pp. 87–99). İstanbul: Nobel Ya-yınları.Google Scholar
- Breuilly, J. (1993). Nationalism and State. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Clerides, G. (1989–1992). My Deposition (Vol. I–IV). Nicosia: Alithia.Google Scholar
- Clogg, R. (1980). A Short History of Modern Greece. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Crawshaw, N. (1978). The Cyprus Revolt: The Origins, Development and Aftermath of an International Dispute. London: William Clowes.Google Scholar
- Demirözü, D. (2007). Savaştan Barışa Giden Yol: Atatürk-Venizelos Dönemi Türkiye-Yunanistan İlişkileri [The Road from the War to the Peace: Turkey-Greece Relations in Ataturk-Venizelos Era]. Istanbul: İletişim.Google Scholar
- Demetriou, T., & Vlachos, S. (2007). Προδομένη Εξέγερση [Τhe betrayed rebellion]. Nicosia: Sosialistiki Ekfrasi.Google Scholar
- Dodd, C. (2010). The History and Politics of the Cyprus Conflict. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan/Springer.Google Scholar
- Drousiotis, M. (2002). Cyprus 1974: The Greek Coup and the Turkish Invasion. Nicosia: Hellenic Distribution Agency.Google Scholar
- Drousiotis, M. (2005). H Πρώτη Διχοτόμηση: Kùπpoς, 1963–1964 [The First Partition: Cyprus 1963–1964]. Nicosia: Alfadi.Google Scholar
- Fırat, M. (2007). 1960–1980: Göreli Özerklik-3 Yunanistanla İlişkiler [1960–1980: Subjective Non-alignment, Relations with Greece]. In B. Oran (Ed.), Türk Dış Politikası: Kurtuluş Savaşından Bugüne Olgular, Belgeler, Yorumlar 1919–1980 [Turkish Foreign Policy: From the Struggle of Independence Till the Present Date, Phenomena, Documents and Comments 1919–1980] (Vol. I, pp. 716–768). İstanbul: İletişim.Google Scholar
- Gaddis, J. L. (2005). The Cold War: A New History. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Hale, W. M. (2000). Turkish Foreign Policy: 1774–2000. London: Frank Cass.Google Scholar
- Hart, P. T. (1990). Two Nato Allies at the Threshold of War: Cyprus, A Firsthand Account of Crisis Management, 1965–1968. London: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Hasgüler, M. (2007). Kıbrıs’ta Enosis ve Taksim Politikalarının Sonu [Τhe End of the Politics of Enosis and Partition in Cyprus]. Istanbul: Alfa.Google Scholar
- Heywood, A. (2000). Key Concepts in Politics. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Howard, D. A. (2001). The History of Turkey. Westport: Greenwood.Google Scholar
- Ker-Lindsay, J. (2011). The Cyprus Problem: What Everyone Needs to Know. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Kıralp, Ş. (2014). National Identity and Elite Interests: Makarios and Greek Cypriot Nationalism (1967–1974). Ph.D. dissertation, Keele University.Google Scholar
- Kızılyürek, N. (2002). Milliyetçilik Kıskacında Kıbrıs [Cyprus Ablocated by Nationalism]. Istanbul: İletişim Yayınları (in Turkish).Google Scholar
- Kızılyürek, N. (2005). Birleşik Kıbrıs Cumhuriyeti: Doğmamış Bir Devletin Tarihi [United Republic of Cyprus: The History of an Unborn State]. Istanbul: İletişim.Google Scholar
- Kızılyürek, N. (2014). Yorgos Vasiliu: Düne ve Yarına Dair Düşünceler [George Vasiliou: Ideas on the Past and the Future] (Ş. Kıralp & N. Kızılyürek, Trans.). Limassol: Heterotopia.Google Scholar
- Kranidiotis, G. (1985). Ανοχύρωτη Πολιτεία: Κύπρος 1960–1974 [The Unfortified State: Cyprus 1960–1974]. Athens: Estia.Google Scholar
- Mallinson, W. (2010). A Modern History of Cyprus. New York: I.B.Tauris.Google Scholar
- Markides, K. (1977). The Rise and the Fall of the Cyprus Republic. Yale: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Miller, J. E. (2009). The United States and the Making of Greece: History and Power, 1950–1974. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press.Google Scholar
- O’Malley, B., & Craig, I. (2001). The Cyprus Conspiracy: America, Espionage and The Turkish Invasion. New York: I.B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Papandreou, A. (2006). H Δημoκρατíα στo Aπóσπασμα [The Democracy at Gunpoint]. Athens: Livani.Google Scholar
- Pericleous, C. (2009). Cyprus Referendum: A Divided Island and the Challenge of the Annan Plan. New York: I.B.Tauris.Google Scholar
- Peristianis, N. (2008). Nation, Nationalism, State, and National Identity in Cyprus (Doctoral dissertation). Middlesex University.Google Scholar
- Uslu, N. (2003). The Cyprus Question as an Issue of Turkish Foreign Policy and Turkish-American Relations: 1959–2003. New York: Nova Publishers.Google Scholar
- Vanezos, H. (2009). Derviş Ali Kavazoğlu (S. Baran, Trans.). Nicosia: Galeri Kültür Yayınları.Google Scholar
Archival Material Accesed Through Press and Information Office Databases
- PIO. (1963). Statement by the Ministry of Finance [Press Release]. 12 September 1963. Available at: http://www.piopressreleases.com.cy/easyconsole.cfm/page/search. Accessed 12 Sept 2014.
- PIO. (1966, June 15). Address of Commonwealth Trade Ministers’ Conference by Mr. A. Araouzos [Press Release]. [Online] Available at: http://www.piopressreleases.com.cy/easyconsole.cfm/page/search. Accessed 12 Sept 2014.
- PIO. (1968, January 12). The President’s Statement [Press Release]. [Online] Available at: http://www.piopressreleases.com.cy/easyconsole.cfm/page/search. Accessed 12 Sept 2014.
- PIO. (1969, July 1). Facilities Granted to Turkish Cypriots [Press Release]. [Online] Available at: http://www.piopressreleases.com.cy/easyconsole.cfm/page/search. Accessed 12 Sept 2014.
- PIO. (1971, October 8). Interview by His Beatitude the President of Republic of Cyprus Archbishop Makarios to Mr. Djelalettin Chetin, Correspondent of the Turkish Newspaper ‘Hurriyet’ [Press Release]. [Online] Available at: http://www.piopressreleases.com.cy/easyconsole.cfm/page/search. Accessed 12 Sept 2014.
- Committe on Missing Persons in Cyprus. (2014). Home Page. Available at: http://www.cmp-cyprus.org/. Accessed 8 Oct 2014.